Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Fails with in need of attention 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw1026

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
Backup Exec will not go out of Active Status. I have done Ctrl+X. Have Dell PowerEdge 2400 with Quantum DLT4000 Tape Backup Drive using Backup Exec 8.5. I have to down the server to turn off the backup exec when it is in this mode. I have even tried aborting...all it does sit..Please advise.

Thanks

What do you mean by stoping and restart all backupexec services. When I hit CTRL+X. It keeps asking if I want to abort, I click Y, it sits. What else do I need to stop?
Thanks

ctrl+x ? what is that? must be unix??? if so i can't help. otherwise if it is a windows box go to start; settings; control panel; services for nt or start; settings; control panel; admin. tools; services for 2k

No it is not unix. We have Novell on the file server. On the desk top it is W98. The Ctrl+x is one of the instructions that you can do when you are in Job Manager. Ctrl + x is to exit from the Job Manager and it stops the session and takes you to the console. At the console you can then type bestart and it will restart backup exec.

When Backup Exec is being wacky, sometimes no matter what commands you give it, it just won't work right. When this happens, close the Backup Exec console and, as ih8MSos stated, restart the Backup Exec services. How you do this depends on what platform Backup Exec is running on. You mentioned Windows 98? I'm not sure where you go to access the services that are running on that machine. In Windows 2000 you would go into Administrative Tools --> Services. There you will see about 5 or six different services that belong to Backup Exec. You select them all and press the Stop button, then press Play again. This often solves when Backup Exec stops responding.

Novell 5.1 is running on our server. The backup exec is backing up the file server. My workstation is running windows 98. I can go to backup exec from NetWare Administrator, tools, backup exec utilities, backup exec windows client. When I click on the job it states it is active and can not be deleted, stopped, etc. I can stand in front of the monitor to the file server and go into the backup exec and try to stop, delete, etc. Still nothing happens. Thanks for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back