Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup fails due to corrupt file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

utvols20

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2005
US
From the past two backups have failed. Here are some of the errors:

This is located under Errors in the Job Log

Backup - \\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
Database or database element is corrupt

and there are several exceptions as well:

1. WARNING: "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Celeste Winstead [cwinstead]?Top of Information Store?Deleted Items?Œ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt

2. WARNING: "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

3. Backup Set Detail Information
Unable to open the item \\SPRING-PLA4AYUA\C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SPRING-PLA4AYUA\C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SPRING-PLA4AYUA\C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\tmp.edb - skipped

4. Unable to open the item \\SHCITRIX\C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\enterprisesec.config.cch.760.3707593 - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\SHCITRIX\C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\security.config.cch.760.3707609 - skipped.

What will i need to do to get this backupall clear to go again? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

utvols20;

If you are trying to have the backup complete successfully instead of failing because of a corrupt file, you will need to do a registry edit on the server running Veritas as per the following link:

I have done this myself. The corrupt file will still be noted in the job log, but the job won't fail. You should still make the effort to try and fix the file problem. It could be benign, or it could signify the beginning of a failing controller or a disc going south for the winter.

Let me know if this is of any help.

Mike, The IT Guy. [morning]

Life is too short to drink warm beer....

Will i need to try and delete the file? I got everything cleared up, but that one email is still corrupted.

You are correct. Either have the user delete the corrupted file or do so yourself.

Now this woman has an incredible amount of email. Any advice on what to tell her/what to do? I tell her to delete but it goes through one ear and out the other. I did a couple of archives for her tho. Thanks for your help!

Could you (politically, speaking)impose size limits on her account? That way she would have to get rid of things in order to receive more email.

Ma'am,

You have a corrupted email file that is causing the Exchange backup of your mail to fail. You have two options.

1. delete the corrupt email.
2. not have any valid backups of your emails.

If you choose option 1, this is the file you need to delete: <enter filepath here>. If you choose option 2, if the exchange server fails, or you somehow lose your mailbox, we will not be able to restore it and you will have lost all your emails.

Please let us know which option you select.

Thank you,

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

thanks, but i got it deleted. I just went into her office and deleted all the emails with "Undeliverable mail" Thanks for all y'alls helP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back