Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup exisitng files & copy new files using VBscript?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aslamvs

Technical User
Jul 8, 2002
Here is the situation:

I am trying to copy few files from the network share to remote server in a specified path and i want to take backup of the existing files to remote share and copy new files.

for example.
ext.dll - to be copied from \\remote-01\release\1\dll
existing dll \\remote-02\d$\2\dll\ext.dll - backup this file on \\remote-01\release\1\rolback\dll
and then copy the new file from \\remote-01\release\1\dll

is it possible through command line or vbscript.
I need to copy same file on many servers in network on frequest basis.

any help will be appritiated.

Thanks!

Aslam

I am able to create a script however it doesnt show any result but it copies the files to network drive.. i can do this using a batch file as well lieke:
xcopy \\server\share\x.txt \\server\share\x.txt >>log.txt.

in log its says 1 files copies.

How do i log the result in vbscript?
Any idea?

Thanks!

Aslam

Use ROBOCOPY for this. It has all the features you need to be able to minimize copy times by excluding unchanged files in the copy.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back