Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec ........ service hung on starting 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadetess

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2000
GB
I'm running SBS (Small Business Server - basically NT4 Server for small businesses as you probably know - SP4), and all of a sudden on boot up the 'Backup Exec 7.x Device & Media Service' says 'Started' although it actually hangs (as confirmed in Event Viewer and the Start and Stop buttons are greyed out).

This prevents the remaining 3 Backup Exec services to start and prevents Backup Exec from connecting to the tape drive (Compaq - which has worked fine up till now) when starting the application.

The tape drive is 'working properly' and can be seen from the server.

I have completely reinstalled the Backup Exec software (uninstalled everything, rebooted and reinstalled), tried the service with the system and Admin user accounts but the same service still hangs and everything behaves exactly as before.

I'd really, really appreciate some help on this! Thanks

Hi,
You are not alone. We have BackupExec v7.0 installed on Winframe 1.7 machines. 30 machines so far have appeared with this problem where the device and media service says that it has started, but the stop/button is greyed out and the other 3 services do not start. I cannot find nothing wrong with the machine, as i have compared the registry and files from a working machine to one with this problem and they are identical. I am surprised to find out that this problem is also happening on another OS though.
If i find a solution, then i will keep you informed. We are currently in talks with Veritas, so i will let you know.

Thanks alot - appreciate your help ...... hopefully we'll find an answer soon!

OK,
Yesterday i manage to fix the problem, and it was as simple as deleting a registry key. Go into the Regisrty and follow this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Currentcontrolset\control\Sessionmanager\Enviroment Under here there will be a 'temp' entry (Either spelt temp, or tmp. Delete this key (Or both of them if they are both there) and reboot. When the machine comes up the Device and Media service should be up and running. I have done this on about 15 of the problem machines, and its working fine now.
Let me know if this helps at all,
Regards

Thanks - I appreciate your help, but unfortunately there is no 'temp' entry in the path you specified.

I'm having the same problem under windows nt 4 server. Did you resolve this problem as yet ?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back