Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackUp Exec Seagate/Veritas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmerFund

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2000
US
I am using Backup Exec software on NT4 and had no trouble for several months.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now, at initial loading, says <b>'Connect to Server?'.</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;I input the server name and get <b>'Failed Connecting to Server...'.</b><br><br>User is forced to close program at that point and no additional info given.&nbsp;&nbsp;Could find nothing in help files.<br><br>Two things...<br><br>1)Any suggestions to correct problem&nbsp;&nbsp;or<br>2)I once found a forum on BackUp Exec or Veritas but cannot locate it now.&nbsp;&nbsp;Know of a website?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Gene<br>

Are the BE services started? If they are, try stopping and restarting them.<br><br>Failing that, post the question in the VERITAS BE forum in Server Rack.

I agree with Zelandakh as always!<br><br>If that doesn't work: Good old uninstall/reinstall!

The problem could also be that the user assigned to the backup job was deleted from the network. <p>David W. Grewe<br><a href=mailto:Dave@internationalbid.net>Dave@internationalbid.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thank you for replies.<br><br><b>Zelandakh:</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Found the following services running - beserver,<br>bengine, benetns and benser.&nbsp;&nbsp;Had decided to reinstall, so did not attempt to stop any services.<br><br><b>LabNinja:</b> Did the reinstall and systems seems to be working correctly at this time.&nbsp;&nbsp;Have not completed a backup yet.<br><br><b>David:</b> Ninty percent sure this is not the case but I have deleted users in the recent past.&nbsp;&nbsp;I installed the software under Administrator this time, so account will not be deleted.<br><br>Thank you all for your suggestions.&nbsp;&nbsp;Greatly appreciated.<br><br>Gene

I have seen this several times before.<br>I take it you were having problems prior to this happening and rebooted your system?<br>If so&nbsp;&nbsp;Check the share properties of your&nbsp;&nbsp;drive/s.<br>Seagate uses the admin$ share&nbsp;&nbsp;type to look at drives if this has been renamed since bootup the service cannot locate drives and returns that error.

I can fax copy of Doc Rcvd from Veritas if anyone would like a copy.....

Sorry Fella's wrong error&nbsp;&nbsp;I was referring to&nbsp;&nbsp;Password database error&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;Open Failed&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;the info below refers to your original problem.<br><br>Here is the URL for where i found info on prob..<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> The program returns &quot;connection to server failed&quot; when started.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><br>Seagate Technician's Response: <br><br>You will need to uninstall and reinstall the backup software. You cannot change the server name without reinstalling the software.<br><br>Original Email Message: <br><br>We recently changed the name of the server where backup exec is installed. We reconfigured the jobs to reflect the name change but the program returns <br>&quot;connection to server failed&quot; when started. Everything ran smoothly before we changed the name... no changes were made in hardware or configuration. Please reply ASAP.<br><br>

Thx for addl info.<br><br>NEFF:&nbsp;&nbsp;Change of administrative drive name (ie, c$) was not the problem and name of server was not changed.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, I do suspect that somehow the name of the server was lost and could not be re-entered (per your note above).&nbsp;&nbsp;Ok now.<br><br>Gene

I have had this problem several times. The sol. I received from Veritas was to apply the MS MDAC update to update the ODBC files. SP6 alone doesn't seem to fulfill the same requirement although it does update most of the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back