Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec: IDR Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon4crm

MIS
Feb 26, 2004
NG
I am running Backup Exec version 9.1 on my SQL server with option for SQL and it is the only valuable data I backup on that system. Any other files on the system is not really inportant.

I have a need to install IDR option for the recovery of that server when a disaster occurs. I am reading the IDR Option installation and I read that I have to make full backups for the the system caould be recovered in a disaster.

1. My question is if I need to recover only the SQL applications and data only, is there still any need to make full backup of that system?

2. For every backup SQL backup I make every day, do I need to update the bootable media or do I now make daily full backup of that system if IDR is installed?

3. I also need to know the common challenged on IDR.

Please I need every information you can offer. It is urgent.

Best Regards,

John

As the doco said, to use IDR you need to take full backups of the server.

You don't need IDR if you are willing to recover the system manually in the case of the server dying.
This would involve a install of windows, then SQL, any service packs, then the restore of the SQL db's.

Hi Justin2000,

Thanks for the prompt response. I dont want manual recovery

So I have to make full daily backup of my system and at the same time update the bootable media. Men, this could be hectic especially when I only need to recover only my SQL server applications and data.

Do you other challenged in using IDR you wish to share with me. I will appreciate.

By tomorrow, I have to install the IDR option. It has already been acquired.

You don't need to create the bootable media after every backup - you only need to do this when you have changed hardware on the server, or updated service pack - or something else major.

oga, i dey hail oooo...i spoke with st ojo, he tells me for some reason the job monitor reports backup job cancelled by user....he claims the job could not have been cancelled by anyone as they would not have access to do so anyway. i have asked him to send me the job logs....still expecting..... as u can see i already posted this here
i see u r already getting busy in abuja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back