Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec could not attach to this Exchange server. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSegfault

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
CA
Hello Good People I am fanatically hoping that I can get my question resolved here.

Our Setup:
---------
_CITRIX: Windows 2000 SP3, AD, Citrix Server. Media Server for our DLT Drive, Backup Exec v8.6, Office XP SP2. All of the latest SP's, Patches, etc. This is our Central Server; Users log into it, files are stored here, etc...

_COMMS: Windows NT 4.0 SP6a, Member Server, Solidary purpose is to run Exchange 5.5 SP4, IIS, External DNS, etc. BackupExec Agent installed.

I can backup everything that I want. I can even do so at 100% Fully Successful backups (~125GB of Data), etc. EXCEPT I cannot attach to the Exchange MailBoxes and back them up. (So I must enable OFO and backup the MDB which then does not give me "successful" Jobs... (not that it matters, it still backs up everything adaquatley.

I have tried almost everything suggested on the web. One of the main issues is Office XP on the Media Server. It is said to not be a supported configuration for 8.5 (I do not know how it changed for 8.6). But this does not concern me for the simple fact that it worked perfectly 3 months ago. It stopped working when I had to reinstall BackupExec as it "lost" the catalogue files one day.

I have tried moving all services to an administrative user I created called "VERITAS" etc, performing the attachment as it, etc. No dice.

Currently it is set up that all servicse (Agent, Exchange, Backup Exec) are started by DOMAIN\Administrator. I have logged in as Administrator; Logged into the Media Server also as Administrator and tried to attach as Administrator. Still... No dice

I know that it worked. It worked flawlessly before; without the use of a dedicated account (VERITAS).

I even yanked out Office off the server and reinstalled it and then ExchangeSP4 again (for the Exchange Administrator).

I am truly perplexed.

Any assistace would be greatfully appreciated.

TIA -- Ian

Hi DrSegfault,

Are you able to get an Information Store and Directory Store backup? <-- very important question.

Regarding mailbox backups,

If you have checked rights and followed the below technote:

How to configure Backup Exec 7.3 and 8.x to backup individual mailboxes from Microsoft Exchange version 5.x and 2000

I have pasted the below one because it mentions to Copy \Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\1033\NT\MAPI32.DLL to \Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT and recylcle services.
Also you could try renaming the bewinui.uni (explained in the below link).

Key Configuration files for Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 v7.x, 8.x.

Make sure you stop the Backup Exec services when doing the above.

Hope this helps,
Bobafet.

I'm having the same problem, however, I found out that the service account password was changed. Once I figured that out it connects and works fine.

bj

I tried as instructed above, It seemed to make no difference. But.. suddenly... out of the blue... one day when I just tried connecting to the Mailboxes, it worked. I have no reason as to WHY; but it worked.

Thx - irs

glad you got it working! i noticed you have office xp sp2 installed. veritas doesn't play nice with Outlook 2002 (office xp). just an FYI for anyone else having the same problem- use Outlook 2000 instead for your MAPI client. BE will be much happier when it gets to those SPAM collec- er, i mean user mailboxes.
;)

Trent
Network Admin

Maybe one of you guys can give me a hand. I have a similar problem.

Server(1) Win2k..AD Controller..Veritas 8.6..Exch Admin Tools..Exch Agent

Server(2) Winnt4..Domain Controller..Exch 5.5.. Veritas Remote Agent

Note: There is a two way trust between the 2 domains, and all service packs have been applied.

Problem: Server(1)unable to see Info Store(IS) and unable to flush increasing Exch Logs files. We can do a standard backup just fine, but there is not a selection for th IS, what gives?

OK; If there is ANYONE who can give me a suggestion as to what could have happened for this to start working - I'll happily go through it to find out what makes veritas tick.

Yes I know there are issues with Office XP & Veritas connecting to mail stores. One thing that I ensured was that the mapi32.dll file versions are of the same version as the ones used on the mail server (Ensure SP4), and that service pack must be installed on the admin client aswell. Ensure that all the mapi32.dll files on your system are secure. (rename extranous ones, clean it up a bit). And play with it :), Seriously that is what I did. I hacked it apart, reset all settings, rehacked, reset, reinstalled, etc... then one day, out of the blue the techi-gods were gleaming down, the great CPUs in the sky were aligned and everything just started working. So I haven't touched it since.

Sorry, but that's the most tehnical responce I can give regarding this situation. :)

Best of luck
- irs

XMIT:
-----

T/L's not flushed (for 8.6 Rev 3878):

IS not seen:
------------

- Check with the BE (backup Exec) console (help > about ....)that the Exchange Agent serial no is present first.

- if present, try creating the BE service account and add it into the local admin. group on the exchange server.

- ensure that the BE service account has been granted the Exchange service account admin. role.

- can you attach to the maibox stores via the exchange admin tools on the media server ?

- verify that the EDBBCLI.DLL on the exchange server and on the media server are the same versions. If different:

- stop all BE services on media server > copy the EDBBCLI.DLL from the exchange server to the media server. > start BE services

Cheers
Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back