Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup exec backups up too much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEVIL2k5

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2005
DE
Hi, i have a problem with backup exec 8.6, i want to backup a folder which is around 50gigs of space, according to windows proberties. But Backup exec seems to back it up twice, after finishing the job, the log says it backed up around 100gig.

i already created a new job, to have a clean jobfile
i also put out the guess about a mapped drive, the folder is available in the network. the job file looks clean, the folder is listed only once.

any guess what it could be?

thx in advance!

mirko

when you look at the restore selections do you see things twice? Are you backing up the folder and the a share to that folder?

like i said, no mapped drives and no it does not look like its twice, but the size of the complete backup is too huge

Can you try backing it up with NTBACKUP to disk and see if you get the same results?

well i guess i must schedule that for the weekend, at night backup exec backs up and over the day, ppl are working, i will post again on monday, but thx

Well, i backed up the stuff with microsoft backup, and the size is completely correct.
:(

WTF

Have you looked at you selection list in text view to see if it contains anything extra?

i did, nothing attracted me, everything seems normal.
this is really messed up

Do you see things twice in the restore selection?
Is disk compression being used?

Did you use NTBACKUP to disk to tape?

Have you downloaded the tape tools for the drive to see if there are any issue. Sometime the chip on board the drive that does the compression may be bad...but that doesnt explain double the data. Have you ran a re-direct restore someplace to see if it restore 100 gigs..maybe something is messed up in BE.

If i go to "restore selections" i see no files and no subfolders twice. no i used ntbackup to back up on harddisk. we just received the tape as a replacement so it should be ok, yes i ran the tape tools after we received the device.
no problems were shown.
no there is no use of disk compression!
and this specific folder seems to be the only victim, all the other folders are backedup correctly.

its really too strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back