Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec asks for new overwritable media

Status
Not open for further replies.

godcom

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2001
JP
I am running Backup exec 8.5 (build 3572) on a windows 2000 server (sp2) that also backs up a remote exchange 5.5(sp4) on a win 2000 sp2 machine.

The backup is starting to ask for a new tape to be inserted anywhere up to 6.00 gbs into the backup. I tried a brand new 40.00gb DLT 4 tape and got the same error message.

A full backup takes about 27.00 gb.

Any ideas?

I have a similar problem although I am getting a bit further than 6Gb. I'm running a DLT4 (40G/80G)backup drive on Veritas Backup Exec software 8.60 rev 3808 but its looking for a new tape after 49G. I'm wondering is there a problem with the format of the tapes, it should be able to take the full 80G. I didnt have trouble with previous tapes although the amount being backed up only hit the 49G limit recently. I suspect they will have the same trouble.

What is the point in having 80G tapes if it only allows you 49G !!!! :)

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Try cleaning the headers on your backup drive. I had a simular problem which then escalated into more backup failures. I ended up returning the backup drive to HP as it was under waranty.I have had no problems since. Also if you put the same media back in the tape drive it will more often than not continue the backup.

Yes guys. Detto here. Most of the times using a cleaning tape will solve the problem,

divyan

I tried cleaning the tape drive but it doesnt seem to have done much. Its still hanging at 49G on the backup and wont go any further without a new tape. Do DLT tapes need to be formatted before being put into use? If so where can you do this? Are there any settings on Backup Exec that I might have to tweak.

I was thinking of making the DLT drive do a quick erase/format before backing up each night, would this perhaps help?

Cheers for your help

This is a very common question in this forum.

A 40/80 drive will backup about 40GB natively. It will backup 80GB if the data is perfect for compression. If most of the data you have is not compressible, you won't get much more than 40GB.

49GB means your drive is full even though you have an 80GB drive.

Another thing that you can do is update the software drivers, and the firmware for the backup unit. Contact the suppliers of the unit on the web and download the latest software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back