Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup exec and Robotic Library not communicating

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakko

Technical User
Nov 7, 2004
FI
We have Dell PowerVault 122t DLT VS-80 and Backup Exec 8.60 and we are using the PowerVault as a Robotic Libray. Backup Exec recognizes the PowerVault correctly but for every media loaded appears as "unknown media" and all jobs (Import, Export, Inventory) just hangs in the Activity monitor with 0%. Also Backup Jobs wont start on a Robotic Library partition, it just hangs on Loading Media.

Im not very familiar with both Backup Exec and the PowerVault and trying to work by reading the manuals, so maybe I am doing something wrong?

I am having the same problem with an ADIC 4000 DLT library. Any help would be great.thanks.

Hello,

Have you run backup to the powervault before? Are these old, recycled tapes?

Are you using the correct type of tapes? PowerVault 122t will only accept "ultrium1 LTO" tapes and will display the "unknown media" listing if you are using anything else.

If your backup won't backup and won't run anything else... I've found that sometimes if you restart the backup exec server service, that will sometimes stop that queue. If this doesn't work, shutdown your server that is running veritas, restart the powervault (wait for powervault to finish the restart, then restart your computer that has veritas. This will probably work.

Let us know how it all works out for you!

k5g

I restarted the services and powervault and deleted and added the device in the Device Managment and now it works.

thx k5g

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back