Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec & Exchange 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluid11

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
I'm running Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000. I'm not having any trouble backing up the mailboxes, except for about 3 of them. They don't show up in the backup selections at all. These are the last 3 mailboxes that I created. Any newly created mailboxes do not even show up as an Exchange mailbox through Backup Exec. Any ideas as to why BE doesn't see these mailboxes?

FYI - I'm running Exchange2K (SP2) and Windows 2000 (SP2). Backup Exec is v8.5.

Thanks for any help in advance.

ChrisP

We don't actually create a object in the store until the mailbox is opened with Outlook or an e-mail is sent to it. How "new" are they? If the above hasn't been done try that. Also does Exmerge see them? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

The mailboxes are used everyday without any problems. I've never used Exmerge before. Its located on the Exchange 2K CD, right? I'll check on that.

Thanks.

I just checked Exmerge and it does see all of the mailboxes.

<Cough> I think the finger has been pointed :) Dan

If Exmerge can see it then its an issue with BackupExec. You could in Exmerge them? Or did you just see if they were in the list? If not try to Exmerge them. Dan

I figured it was an issue with BE from the start. I cannot find any articles or patches on Veritas's website. I've even tried re-installing BE once. I don't want to have to pay Veritas $89 for support on a problem that is most likely their fault.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Dan, if you worked for Veritas instead of Microsoft, and I called you for support and you determined that it was a bug in the program...would you charge me for the support call?

We don't charge if it is in fact a bug. But can be a pain if we asked you to install patches first and had to troubleshoot a bug (again). Dan

FYI. I fixed the problem. Here's what I did.

I opened up ADSI Edit and changed the legacyExchangeDN attribute of the missing mailboxes. The problem mailboxes weren't in lowercase, like they should be. For example, if the attribute said this...

/O=org/OU=company/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=USERS/CN=chris

then I changed it to this...

/o=org/ou=company/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=USERS/cn=chris

Next I restarted the Backup Exec services and all of the mailboxes were showing.

ChrisP
MCSE (2K/NT4), CNE (NW5), CCNA, LPIC, Linux+, Server+, i-Net+, Network+, A+, CIWA

This question is for Dan. I read that I can call Microsoft and request the fbfix.zip file that will fix this automatically when creating new mailboxes. As of right now, whenever I create a new mailbox, I have to open up ADSI Edit each time and change the legacyExchangeDNS attribute. Can I download this file somewhere?

Thanks,
ChrisP

I'm also interested, I've noticed this problem also before and the ADSI-edit procedure mentioned above solves the problem.

Gotta have that fix (for free |-0)

Bart

This may or may not relate to your situation. I use BE 8.6 with IDR, OFA, and a Remote Agent to back up Exchange box.

I was warned by the vendor that helped me set up my exchange 2000 server and Backup Exec that if I configured the backup job to not back up all individual mailboxes in the mailbox store, I would have to manually check any newly created mailboxes in order to include them in the backup set. In other words, if I set Backup Exec to not back up any individual mailbox, the flag on the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes would change from a checkmark to a /, signifying a partial backup. By doing this, BE will not automatically set newly created mailboxes to be backed up.

Darwin
Director of Information Services
Philadelphia PA

My problem (that is fixed now) was completely different (unfortunately). I wish it would have been that easy. All newly created mailboxes didn't show up at all in the backup selections until I edited their properties with ADSI Edit.

I do know what you are talking about zehrhead. We're running BE 8.5 and that doesn't happen though. Maybe they changed it with v8.6 for the worse. I have a few mailboxes that I don't want to back up and when I add a new one, it is marked for backup by default.

ChrisP

This happens during reconnects with ESM before SP1.

New mailboxes should not have any issues.

Can you verify what service pack your on? Also if you need fbfix I can send it yet it is for a Free/Busy problem but looks as if this brings it out too. So let me know. You can also call and open a grace case if you just want to get fbfix that way. Its all good either way :) Dan

Ok, thanks Dan. I'm running Exchange 2K (SP2) and Win2K (SP2). Actually, every once in awhile, users on the network get Free/Busy errors that pop up that you have to select OK for. I never really looked into it as it wasn't causing any problems.

How do you want to send me the fix?

ChrisP ChrisP
MCSE (2K/NT4), CNE (NW5), CCNA, Linux+, Server+, i-Net+, Network+, A+, CIWA

ftp://ftppss.microsoft.com/outgoing/mail/fbfix.zip Dan

Dan, I can't connect to this address. I tried using a web browser and an FTP client. Can't ping ftppss.microsoft.com either.

Chris

It is there... Please go to a place that allows ftp.

Most places block ping. I just tried and was able to go without a problem but can't ping.

Name does resolve to 207.46.239.26 though. Dan

Dan,

I cannot connect to this FTP from work or home and I use FTP servers all the time. I called a few friends and asked if they could connect and they couldn't either. I also tried connecting using the IP you stated above.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back