Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9 and restoring to Exchang 5.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbirch

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2003
GB
I am trying to restore some emails to a mailbox. The exchange server is 5.5 on an NT4 box. I am using the credntials of a user who has service admin rights.

Every time I try to restore I get the following message.

"Job failed due to following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives"

On the job log gives the code: a000848c HEX.

Anyone know what causes this or who has had this problem before??

Hi
Try to check the hardware ,especally the tape drive.
Reset the server and catalog the tape.

Jerry

I also receive this error message during my nightly backups from one particular server. It's always the same server and the 20 odd other servers never complain. Any idea what could cause this from the agent side? I doubt it's the backup hardware itself considering the history.

The majority of "Unable to attach" errors I have come accross are the results of incorrectly configured logon accounts in Backup exec.

Check to see that the account backup exec uses to access the server has sufficient security priviledges. A good way to check is to logon to the media server using that account and simply browse to the resource you are trying backup.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

The error message you are getting is a security error - pretty vague error I reckon, unable to attach to one of the drives - err which drives?

Anyway, you may have to set Send As and Receive As privileges for the backup exec account to that mailbox you are trying to restore to.

Also if you can, setup another mailbox, call it test, and do a redirect restore of the mail items you need to this.

Here's the final result of my problem:

When installing the new remote agent a while back (when the problem started) the INSATLL script automatically determined name it chose for the server was not the same as it was originally defined in the "bakcup selection list". Presumably the previous version of the remote agent INSTALL script used different rules to name the server (I cannot confirm this, just a theory).

So the vague error message actually meant the resource no longer existed (this would be Reason 3 on the link below).

There are many other reasons you could get that crappy error message, maybe one of them explains the problem that the original thread starter is experiencing.

I encountered this problem as well. Here is the fix:
Go to restore, and pick the emails you want restored.
Click "Resource Credentials" on the left handside, pick "SERVERNAME\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" and hit change. Pick the credentials you use to backup the mailboxes. Then hit run now.
If that does not work, make sure you can see the Exchange Mailboxes, when you try to pick them to a backup selection. IF you can't restart exchange server.

Ahoy Dudes (& Dudetts)!

I have had this problem too ...

We are running Win2K Servers with Backup Exec 9. Our backups were working 100% and then all of a sudden we got the above error when backing up the exchange stores. I checked all the services and logon accounts as suggested on the veritas support site, they were fine.
See -
Another thing which through me off course was the fact that it was backing up drives(local & remote) and files perfectly, whiles the mailbox & public folders were’nt backing up at all. (Credentials? - I dont think so!)

Eventually I noticed that the Backup Admin Account(permissions to everything), was set to be hidden from the exchange address lists. Once I changed this option in the AD to show again, the exchange stores backed up without hassles.

Hope this helps you guys ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back