Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9.1 Weird Error after SP5 patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirre777

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2004
US
Everything was going well with Backup Exec except my speed was kind of slow. After some research it seemed that the SP5 patch from Symantec would help with the speed issue of my backups. After installing the patch, when opening Backup Exec I get 3 "General Access Denied Errors". I ok them and it lets me into Backup Exec. I can monitor the jobs and search histories, but when I click on Backup or Restore it closes me out back onto the desktop. The backup is still running fine, all my services are still running fine. I tried doing a full repair to no avail. I've rechecked the logon account and everything is fine. I've checked all the service logon credentials and everything is fine there. I'm running Backup Exec 9.1 and trying to get Symantec on the phone is like a nightmare. I'm not getting any events under the Event Viewer either. Any suggestions?

Hi squirre777,

I am having the same problem after installing SP5. Did you find a solution?

Thanks

Greg

I am also having the same issue. All worked well until I applied SP 5. What did you all figure out? Looks like Symantec does not have the fix on their web site. nice.

Bill

NIGHTMARE for me also. BSOD for me. I had to do a disaster recovery to get back up and running. (If i had done a system state b/u to a safe place (I'm using Win2000) I think I could have recovered easily but that is just a guess.)

Hi,

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling. This was the only way to get my console back on track. I installed SP4 and will be sticking with this!!

Thanks

Greg

Thanks. I am getting my head wrapped around doing what you suggested. Thanks for confirming that this works.

Bill

Hi,

One crucial thing to do is to uninstall all remote agents at source, this usually requires a reboot. Then when you get the main console back online reinstall the agents from there. If you fail to do this you will find problems with the backups.

Thanks

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back