Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9.1 SQL Agent 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

white43210

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2004
US
I am trying to backup a SQL server and I keep getting the follwing errors. The job finishes but it says completed with exceptions. The backup takes place during the middle of the night. Does anyone know what I can do to get a successful backup?

--------------------------------------------------------
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SQL\C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume.
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SQL\E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SQL\X:". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
OFO: Initialization failure on: "SQL". Advanced Open File Option used: Veritas Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).

Backup - \\ABSSQL\C: p0disk0Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\j50.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\tmp.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\WINNT\system32\wins\j50.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\WINNT\system32\wins\wins.mdb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\WINNT\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb - skipped.
------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks!
Chad

I get the same error message on our computer that runs our key fob system

Backup - \\ABSSQL\C: p0disk0Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\ABSSQL\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat - skipped.

I know it has something to do with the windows updates. Cause I was getting the error message on another server after some windows updates showed up, once I ran the updates, the error in backup exec went away. this one however the error message wont go away.

Do you have the Agent for SQL Server? I see the reference to OFO being used, but nothing about the Agent for SQL Server.

I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again...I don't recommend using Backup Exec or any other third-party software to backup SQL Server. Use the 'native' SQL Server backup commands to do the backup. I backup to hard drive and then use Backup Exec to copy the SQL Server backup files to tape.

-SQLBill

I have never had a problem using backup exec to backup my SQL databases. I do have the SQL agent. My server however doesnt have SQL on it. In fact the only program it has on it is the program to run our keyfobs.

supplycore,

Okay, but my response was to Chad (white43210) who's thread this is. And he did state it was a problem with backing up SQL Server.

-SQLBill

for Supplycore,

After looking at your post....

do you have the OFO (open file option) installed?

It's possible that the files were in use at the time the backup was being done. Do you have a way to see if Windows Update was running at the time?

-SQLBill

I do have OFO installed, but even after installing the windows updates, and rebooting the server , the error message shows up every day still. I tried deleting the two files, but I get a message that they are in use and cant be deleted. But I cant figure out what is using them. On the other server, after I installed the updates and rebooted, the backups went fine.

I have Advanced Open File Option and SQL agent installed on the media server and I have the Advanced Open File Option and Remote agent for windows installed on the remote SQL box.

White,
If you go into the Open File Option wizard and connect to the server in question, you'll go a couple pages in to where the sizes can be altered. Below those, there is a minimum quiet time setting. The default is 5 seconds. Basically, OFO waits until there is no disk write activity for 5 seconds before it makes the snap. The number below the quiet time is the time it waits before aborting OFO and just doing a normal backup.

That is exactly what your log shows, it was unable to get quiet time, continued on and skipped open files.

Most of the time, setting the quiet time to 3 is usually enough to fix this issue. You would only want to try 2 if 3 really doesnt work, and you never want to go below 2, you risk corruption of the data below 2.

Thanks, I'll give it a try! And let you know if that resolves the issue.

White/Supplycore-

I've seen the qmgrX.dat issue several, several times. Since it doesn't happen all the time, and since changing the way the backups run isn't the best way to do it (IMHO), you have two options:

1. I personally run a batch file before and after the job to stop and start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. This service is what is stopping the qmgr files from backing up.

2. Stop the service, delete the qmgr files, and start the service. Windows Updater will rebuild these files.

I do not use Veritas to backup SQL, so I can't speak to the sql issues.

sqlbill,

what are the 'native' SQL Server backup commands ???
you use to dump so i can backup them up w/ backup exec ?

pctekk,

The 'native' SQL Server backup commands are BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP LOG. When SQL Server is installed, the Books OnLine are also installed. This is SQL Server's HELP. You can find it at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine. Use the Index tab and enter BACKUP DATABASE. That will show you the syntax. I back up to hard drive and then use BE to copy my backup files to tape.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back