Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup exec 9.1: job does not complete due to not enough compression 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraubungle

Technical User
Apr 19, 2004
GB
Dear all.

I hope someone will be able to help me.

I have a Dell PowerVault 110T DLT1\VSTAPE Drive, installed in an old Gateway E7000 Running Veritas 9.1.

I am us 40/80 dlt tapes but am unable to back up over 48Gb

I suspect that the Drive can use hardware compression. The box is Ticked and the settings are

Block Size (Per Device) 64k
Buffer Size (Per Device) 64k
Buffer Count 10k
High Water Count 0

Under the job properties under settings, General There is "Verify after Backup Completes"

This is now set to Software (were do you set this ratio)
and has been set to both the other options Hardware if available or none and Hardware if available or none.

I get the same out come every time.

The job gets to about 70% through the verification then asks for a new disk??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly excepted.

Mark..

Backup Exec doesnt handle any compression. If you choose hardware, Backup Exec passes of the command to the tape device and the tape device performs the compression. If you choose software, then its windows compresssion. The fact that your getting over 40gs means the compression is working. When they rate the drive 40/80 its rated compressing a text file. Contact the Dell for firmware updates on the tape device. Try the job without verification.

Im having the exact same problem with an Onstream ADR-2 drive(60gb). Uncompressed it handles 28gb. but it should go way over that. The data I am backing up is very compressable.

Im going to try to disable hardware compression, and set software compression (thats under the device option in BE9.1 I believe)

I'll post results here.

The default settings where:

Enable hardware compression. If not available; use none.

I assumed my drive was able to handle hardware compression. I guess it didn't (or it's a driver issue perhaps)

After setting the defaults to use software compression I was able to backup significant amount more data.

Thx

i have tried to do the same and go with Software compression but i still get the same results.. i have un-ticked the Enable Compression option from the Drive Properties / configuation Tab. And set the compression to software under Tools / Options / Backup.

Am i going something wrong here or is this the best i can hope for??

You don't set software compression on the device properties, but on the JOB properties.

it is set up there... i was asking weather or not the Tick box for enable compression should be ticked or not under the device settings??

hi all

i have the same prob whit DLT VS 80 ( HP)
i get to 95% and it is 49.5G of 51G and it is ask for new media
i have configed "enable compression " on the device
and in the job and the "Options" i set it to "Enable hardware compression. If not available; use none."

can you help me to know why it is not backup it to the end

Thx

if you set: "Enable hardware compression. If not available; use none." you won't get any compression if hardware compression is not available for some reason.

Allthough the drive you are using should support hardware compression. Are you using the Backup Exec driver?

I am using the back-up exec drive Driver??? could this be a problem? as it is recomended by Veritas to use there driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back