Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9.1 Crashes DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

STF26

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
We are having a problem with a brand new install of BE 9.1 where it crashes the network's only DC at the end of the nightly backup. It hangs the server on the system state. BE 9.1 passes thru everything including files & exchange data however when it reaches the system state on the DC, it crashes it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

STF

We are having the same problem here. No solution has been found. After posting the thread have you been able to resolve the problem?

Try backing up the system state with NT backup.

I've got a similar problem with version 9.1 rev.4691 on Server 2003 (Exchange 2003 also). The tape drive is connected to the File server and remote agent backs up the Exchange server. Most backups seem to go alright except for the Exchange mailbox. I can backup the IS database with no problems either. I've ended up splitting the backup jobs into 4 separate ones (File server, Exchange server, IS database, Public/Private Mailboxes). When it does the individual mailboxes I get the following:

WARNING: "\\CDG-EX1\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\BD32C321E7224C1091E53DD3EE4ED0741B4534CE790DEB03" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt
WARNING: "\\CDG-EX1\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\2CDA4621E7224C109D161677BD0326F4C9FDA82965ED8C97" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt
Warning: Unable to backup the attachment data associated with one or more messages. Some messages and their attachments may have been deleted while the backup was already in progress.

There are also several "directory not found" warning messages relating to users that have been disabled in ADU&C. The nasty part of the above is that 50-75% of the time the mailbox backup will cause my Exchange server to reboot itself. Paid bunches for outside consultants to come in and track it down, no luck. No luck with Veritas either.

Never seen a backup job cause a server to reboot before, finally turned off that job and the server hasn't reboot itself since so I know it's the cause.

Under setting --> exchange --> uncheck ""Enable single instance for mailbbox attachment"

Has been unchecked for quite some time. Individual mailbox backup job failure for any reason will cause Exchange Server (using Remote Agent) to reboot 95% of the time.

I'm not sure if this problem is related to Backup Exec anymore. I've had the Exchange server reboot a few times over the past month for no apparent reason. Sometimes the server will just hang up and then blue screen with a self induced reboot. Since it is intermittant I'm having a hell of a time trying to isolate it. I will solve this problem or it will kill me in the process.

My problem is similar except that the backups I have set up and I did do them individually ~ 4 of them. All complete OK and THEN it locks the 2003 server up and I have to reboot it. Does not happen all the time but very erratically and at this point infrequently. So far Dell has not been able to see any problem from the logs I sent them.

The biggest problem I found was McAfee, corporate version 8.0 had several memory leaks. I ended up going through a LOT of phone conversations and patches for VirusScan. Here's what finally fixed it for me (although something else is still funky, somewhere)...

1) Contacted MS to obtain 833167 hotfix for 2003 Server running Backup Exec (concerning a memory leak with Volume Shadow Copy). Had a Volsnap Event ID 5 error in the Event Log.
2) Excluded all of Groupshield and Exchange from On-Access Scan on Exchange server. Even setup a scheduled task to turn off the On-Access Scan for the backups.
3) Put Backup Exec programs on Exchange server in the trusted files area of McAfee.
4) 4 patches to VirusScan for a memory leak (this was probably the biggest thing). I couldn't even do a DAT update on the Exchange server without the system locking up and eventually rebooting itself.

Everything was up and running fine for 46 days until the random reboots started again. I ended up rebooting the Backup Exec server and it all runs fine again. So, something is still wrong or leaking on the server running Backup Exec and maybe if I find some free time I'll try to track it down. Now I'm just content and will reboot both servers once a month and hope for the best.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back