Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9.1 and Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoplax

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hi all, recently my backup jobs on an Exchange 2003 server have been returning the following error:

(Server: "MyServer") (Job: "Diff") Diff -- The job
failed with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

I checked the log info and the only hitch encountered in the backup job appears to be for the Exchange Mailboxes. I recently created some new mailboxes but other than that no changes.

Should I try a solution I've seen here, to create a new BE user account, stop the BE services, restart the services, then assign this new account to the jobs? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

UPDATE - I stumbled across a solution.

I double-checked the service accounts for the Backup Exec services, they were the same as before. I set the password to what it was supposed to be, no difference.

Then however I remembered that at one point I had hidden the service account's Exchange mailbox from the Global Address List. I unhid this, then tried browsing the Mailbox resources via the Selection list in Backup Exec.

Lo and behold, I was able to browse, no Access Denied. When I tried running a test backup for credentials, it was successful.

Even more strange, I reset the option to hide the Administrator mailbox and the problem did not occur again, it still tests fine.

So I guess after you add new mailboxes to your Exchange 2003 server, and this problem happens, and you happen to have your service account mailbox hidden from the GAL, try unhiding it, then rehiding it, and see if that helps.

Zoplax

You will continue to have problems, you can't hide the service accounts mailbox, otherwise backup exec will not be able to access it.

I hid mine just fine, once the mapi agent has resolved the GUID of the mailbox, BE will use it from that point on with it's credentials.

> Make sure the BE account is a domain/administrator and a member of the built-in admin group on your exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back