Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 9.0-9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt22b

IS-IT--Management
Sep 2, 2006
US
I just upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1 (I know, I know, I'm a little behind). I have a Certance Ultrium 2 (200GB)external device.

After I upgraded, jobs will start, but won't stop. They will go all the way through the backup process, eject the tape, but the job will continue to run. The elapsed time will also continue to run. When I look through the Job Log, everything looks normal. The backup finishes and the verify finishes just as it would before. When I go to the Job Completion status though, it doesn't finish until the next backup is scheduled to run.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

-Matt

It sounds like the job may be too big for one tape. When it gets full it ejects it and waits until you put in the tape for the next job, then finishes the first job. Check out the tape to see if it's full.

Thanks DTracy, but I'm only backing up 95GB and the tape is 200GB uncompressed and overwritable. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

I know when i did the upgrade i also had to re-download
a veritas tape driver update because it started doing
weird things with my library changers.

Can you try telling it to not eject the tape in the job
and see if it'll complete fully.

It could be that you may need to delete the job, keep
the selections. and just reschedule it to see if it'll
clear up some oddities in the application.

I've used BE since version 8.6 , i could write a novel
about all the goofy things i've seen backup exec do. :)

-= Gfense / =-

Thanks Rick,
I actually tried that this morning and it completed without my having to restart all the BE services. It didn't run last night, I had to start it this morning, but it completed after I deselected the eject tape. I'll see if it actually runs properly tonight and completes!

I bet you could write a book. There's no rhyme or reason for a number of the fixes that I've seen and I've only been using it for a year and a half.

I'll let you know how things work out and thank you for your help.

-Matt

What about compressed files? do you have a lot of already compressed files? What can the tape hold for compressed media?

I went in this morning and the job completed. I had changed the option to eject to off and it fixed the problem. Thank you all for your help.

I'm just a little greedy though...does anybody know off hand how to get it eject automatically?

Thanks again.

Matt

We are receiving the following errors on Veritas Backup Exec 9.0 - a000feab corrupt data encountered and a000fezd the backup of an item is bad. Both errors are with the backup of our mailboxes - any suggestions????

I too have 9.1. I had a similar problem and it was caused by the tape being full. No indication was given that the tape was full. After weeks of progressive elimination...it worked.

It seems to be a common problem with 9.1. Turning off the auto tape eject will fix the problem. There is a section covering this on Symantecs website also there are posts on this forum concerning the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back