Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 7.3 Tape Device Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZiggy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2002
IE
Hi I have NT Server installed with Backup Exec 7.3, on Saturday I had to do some work on the server to tighten security but this had an adverse effect on the backup exec Services and they wouldn't start. I fixed this problem and re-installed Backup Exec and all seemed fine. When I first enter backup exec it comes up with the Welcome and the Device Configuration Wizard, when I click next the screen says to configure tape device click here. When I click this it see's me device (Quantum DLT7000) with the driver loaded, I click on the device and select it but when it goes back to the backup exec backup devices screen the device isn't there. Basically although I select it it doesn't take it?? I've completely uninstalled it and re-installed it and nothing!! Help!!

Are you rebooting in the proper order? Power up tape drives first before powering up your backup server. That's worked for me before.

Well I did switch the device of and on once but the server has been rebooted numerous times since then. It's just Backup Exec. NTBackup sees the device fine!!

There's a dlttape.sys driver that NT uses and, there's one that Veritas uses. If the veritas driver is disabled for some reason that would explain why you can still see the drive in NT... I'm seeing the same thing on one of my servers right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back