Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup exec 7.3 Insert overwritable media - but it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazylife

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
GB
I have a problem with Backup Exec 7.3. I have the message "insert overwritable media" and can not back up at the moment. I have changed the media set to 0 Hours, the options settings (tools>options>media>) to 0. If I move the tape to scratch media it is avaialble, but I still can't do anything with it! I can't rename or erase the tape. If I insert it into another DLT on a seperate machine I can do what I like, so I guess its application based but I can't see it. Any help would be great.

Thanks

DAvid

Trying stopping and re starting all the backup exec services.

Here is the answer

The answer for this actually lies in the fact that the tapes had been used in a DLT 4000. The new DLT is an HP and probably is classed as a DLT 1. The DLT 4000, 7000 and 8000 heads are slightly different this means that the HP DLT will read the tapes but is not able to overwrite them due the head placement. The only way to use the tapes in the new DLT is to have them degaussed because even erasing the tape is impossible except in the Dlt 4000 et al and even when you do that the tape can not be written to on the HP DLT. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

I have been running full backups of a shared drive on a server, and recently they have become very slow, taking over 18 hours to backup 6 gigs of data at night! The only thing that I can think of that might have altered the way that the backups are performing is - I have added security to folders. I am using Windows NT 4.0 sp5, with Seagate Backup Exec 7.1. I have just recently change the backup job to incremential due to the increased time in the backup job. I can deal with the incrementials, but am curious on why they are taking so long.

In backup exec 7.0 rev719 i am experiencing an error Agent Accelerator not present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back