Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 7.3 for NT SBS hangs backing up C: drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbenson

MIS
Dec 22, 1999
US
We have Backup Exec 7.3 for SBS running on a Compaq Prosignia 740. Whenever a nightly scheduled backup runs, it gets to the end of the C: drive and hangs. A folder &quot;winzip&quot; is the last on drive C:. However, if &quot;winzip&quot; is excluded from backup, the job hangs in the &quot;winnt.sbs&quot; folder. We never get to the D: drive. I have moved the tape drive (Compaq 4/8 dat) to the secondary internal SCSI controller and set it for SCSI-1 speed. I have swapped out the tape drive and SCSI cable. I have updated the driver to 4mmdat VRTS. I have uninstalled and reinstalled BUExec 7.3. I have deleted and recreated the backup jobs. The backup works when I select several folders and schedule a test backup (approx .5 gb). I have installed this same hardware/software combination several times without incident.<br>
<br>
Any ideas??

Depending how you have installed NT...<br>
<br>
If your C drive contains the system partition only then exclude it from user selections and make a backup to floppy disk or whatever - its usually only tiny.<br>
<br>
If your C drive includes \winnt then exclude that from the backup - whats the point in backing it up cos you can't restore it until NT is installed... <br>
<br>
Basically try removing it from the user selections list and see what happens.

It sounds like a filesystem problem....<br>
Try running chkdsk C: /f <br>
(Probably requires reboot)<br>
<br>
I strongly disagree with the idea of not including winnt directory tree in your backups<br>
<br>

Why would you back up the winnt directory? What use is it to anyone? You can't restore it until you have a stable NT install and installing over the top of an install leads to problems.<br>
<br>
What's your reasoning?

The problem turned out to be a glitch with Intelligent Disaster Recovery, a feature within Backup Exec. IDR is very picky about the Image Path in the registry. There were 2 drivers whose Image Path did not include \SystemRoot\ in the path. This prevented IDR from making the updates it does each backup. This hung the backup. There is a technote on the Veritas website describing the problem. It is Technote 010-103190.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back