Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 10D errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

komando

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2006
US
Hello All,

I am using Veritas backup exec to backup all my server data to an Exabyte autoloader. We have an exhcnage server and some MSSQL 2000/2005 database servers in our environment as well. The backup jobs are running with some exceptions. Can you people please provide your expert opinion on how to resolve this issue. I am not worried much about the exhcnage skipped files as I have already ordered a Veritas exchange backup agent. I am more worried about the database errors. It says that the files are being used. Does this mean that I need to stop the MSSQL server when backing it up?? Here are the exact logs of the backup job:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Backup- \\WANEXCHANGE\E: DATAUnable to open the item \\WANEXCHANGE\E:\ExchangeServer\ExchangeServer_WANEXCHANGE\ExchangeServer_WANEXCHANGE.edb - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\WANEXCHANGE\E:\ExchangeServer\ExchangeServer_WANEXCHANGE\MSS.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\WANEXCHANGE\E:\ExchangeServer\ExchangeServer_WANEXCHANGE\tmp.edb - skipped.

Backup- \\CHO14DBA\F: DatabasesUnable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\aspnetdb.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\aspnetdb_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\master.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\mastlog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\model.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\modellog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\CRMdatabase_METABASE.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\CRMdatabase_METABASE_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\CRMdatabase_MSCRM.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\CRMdatabase_MSCRM_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\SMS_METABASE.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\SMS_METABASE_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\SMS_MSCRM.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\SMS_MSCRM_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\msdbdata.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\msdblog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\ReportServer.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\ReportServerTempDB.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\ReportServerTempDB_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\ReportServer_log.LDF - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\SMS_MSC.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\SMS_MSC_log.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\tempdb.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CHO14DBA\F:\databases\MSSQL\MSSQL.4\MSSQL\Data\templog.ldf - skipped.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks in advance,

Komando

You either need to stop/backup/restart SQL Server (which you could do with pre/post commands in the backup job), or purchase the SQL Server agent to backup the databases and exclude the Data folder from the backup job.

These are your Exchange database files and they are in use at the time of backup, thats the reason backup exec is unable to back them up and skips them as to backup open file you need a different agent (AOFO-Advanced Open File Option)
If you have Exchange Agent and you are backing up your Information Store, you need to backup these database files.

The problem with using database agents is that they can fail to work properly. Once bitten, twice shy, so I have SQL make it's own backups, then copy those to tape with BE. SQL will always restore it's own database without issue.

Saves you the price of the Agent as well.

Hello Friends,

My apologies for not updating thsi thread. I fugured out the issue. The selection list had SQL data files directory checked so it was trying to backup the MDF and LDF files as regular files. We have now purchased an MSExchange agent adn SQL agent as well. So now the backups are working fine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back