Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 10d - Cataloging issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrune

Technical User
Dec 12, 2006
US
I am using Veritas BackUp Exec 10d on Windows Server 2003.
I am using an AIT-4 Library.

I had a catalogue of a full backup on 11/10/2006 and I need to restore some files from that backup, but the catalogue was deleted. When I select 11/10/2006 backup it says to get 3 tapes (A0Axxx etc), so I put the three tapes into the library and then right click on each tape to 'Catalogue' and let it go. After about 15 minutes it will ask for a tape that doesn't have anything to do with the particular tapes I'm working with.

How can I make BackUp Exec only catalogue the 3 tapes that I need that have the files I need without having it try to catalogue dozens of other irrelevent (to this scenario) tapes?

Thank you!

-Rick

Well the other tape is part of the media family. Most likely you have your jobs setup to append/overwrite and it appened to that other tape. You can goto Tools - options - catalog and uncheck the box to use storage base catalogs. Stop the services and rename backup exec\nt\catalog folder. Start the services. Catalog each tape. This will take as long as the backup took. The catalogs will fail but it will give you exactly what is on the tape.

Catalog jobs fail stating "The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation."

What is a Media Family?

Do you mean 'Catalogue each tape' as in every tape I have all together (+80) or do you mean 'each tape' as in the 3 tapes I want to re-catalogue.

I have followed your steps of:
Uncheck Storage Base Catalogs
Stop Services
Rename Catalogs folder [D:\ is the drive I use]
Start Services
Run Catalogue on (3x) tapes.

But I still get "Please insert media 'A0AG4E' into the robotic library using the import command"

I repeated the process you suggested 3 times to make sure I completed it correctly but alas I am still having the same issue.

What should my next step be?

Rick

Do you have A0AG4E to put into the library?

Yes, but the point is is that after it calls out for A0AG4E it will continuously call for different tapes that do not have any correlation (to me) for that particular backup set. I went through about 20 different tapes before canceling because I only want the files on those three taples. The A0AG4E tape is from a different set.

-Rick

What steps should I take to back up from the 3 tapes only without having to insert a bunch of other tapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back