Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec 10 & Autoloaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr27

MIS
Nov 18, 2005
US
I am using an HP Storagworks 1/8 Ultrium 448 autoloader with Backup Exec 10 on a Windows 2003 server. Windows 2k3 detects the tape drive as a autoloader but Veritas does not. It is only see's the auotloader as a single slot device. I have tried drivers, firmware, reboots... etc... Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Have you installed the latest Veritas Drivers?

Is it showing up as a standalone drive in Backup Exec?

Is it multi lun device?

Yes, I have installed the latest Vertias drivers.

Yes Backup Exec is seeing it as a Stand-alone device

I'm 90% sure the Ultrium 448 support multi LUN...

Thanks

Is multi lun enabled on your SCSI card?

Can the library element be changed or emulated to another HP library? This would be done in the front panel.
If you run a bediag - Tools - OPtions - Backup Exec diagnostic. You will probably see a invalid name..this means Backup Exec cant get a serial number of the library this it doesnt know how to work with it. Sometimes its bad terminiation, SCSI card setting, or changing the library emulation.

I believe LUN is enable because the tape drive in Windows 2k3 Device Manager shows up under LUN 0.....

It wiill show autloader as single drive only. If you are using autoloader, there is one option called partition. create a partion for each slot. run the inventory, it will show you insterted media in scratch. Move media from scratch to your own created media set and take a backup.

I can't partition the autoload because Veritas has it listed as a stand-alone device. It does not appear under robotic library.

Do one thing try to manually add this autoloader, through manually adding a device and add this device as robotic drive. And pls check in device manager for robots is detected or not. And make sure removable storage media service should be disable.

Couple of notes:
1) Under the Removable Storage MMC my autoloader does appear under Libraries, when I try to enable on one the devices for the library I get the following error message:
"The object identifier does not represent a valid object"

2) How do you manually install a library in backup exec 10?

You need Veritas 10d. I had the same problem, upgrading Veritas worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back