Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotmale

MIS
Jul 15, 2001
AU
The help inside Backup Exec 8.6 suggests that even though you cannot see the exchange folders on the administrator program, Backup Exec will still backup the folders. This is untrue. All you need is the exchange agent for BupExec installed, and the exchange administrator program installed on the backup box.

If you want to backup the individual mail boxes seperately (best practice) then you still need to install a MAPI client on the backup server (Exchange client or Outlook etc) and should have one profile setup, doesn't matter whos profile.

Don't forget you need a remote agent on the Exchange Server - What page / section of the manual are you refering to ?

The section I refer to is under the help about:
"Using the Remote Agent with the Exchange Agent"
"Note The Remote Agent is not used for mailbox backup; it is used only when Information Store, Directory Store, and storage group and database backups are run.
After the Remote Agent is installed on a system, the agent selection is transparent. There is no listing of the agent from the Backup Exec Agents view in Backup Selections."

I found this misleading & it didn't backup exchange. I found out once the agents are installed, simply install the administrative progam on the backup server (service pack & restart), and I could see things again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back