Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Engine Fails to start after reboot on Version 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartona

Technical User
Apr 23, 2007
GB
I have Version 10 of Backup Exec with all updates installed. When the server is rebooted (Server 2003), the Backup Exec Job Engine fails to automatically start. I have checked that the username and password are correct and there are no entries in the logs to show a failure.

If you go into the services and start it, it starts up without a problem. With Microsoft sending out updates and automatically rebooting the server, it is a real pain!!

I've had the same problem. In the end i had to turn off automatic updates and only download them when i was present to make sure the job engine could be restarted

Sorry Joe, but I think you have misunderstood me. Every time the server reboots, the back engine fails to start, not just following updates.

I have to restart it manually after every system reboot.

Sorry. When you go into tools -> backup services manager. you can click services credentials and alter the startup options to automatic after restart. I had issues with installing the sp3 for BE and it screwed up my service credentials. not sure if this could be the problem but hope it helps.

Also if you type services.msc into the command prompt you can check the details of the backup exec services and their actions when windows reboots and what happens if they fail during reboot etc

Hi Joe.

That's the odd thing, nothing is reported in the logs for the service failing to start up. All of the backupexec services start except the engine.
I will report back as soon as I have rebooted again.

Hi Bartona

I have worked extensively with versions (8.0, 9.0, 10, 10D, 11D) I can safely tell you version 10 is extremely problematic. All other versiobs do not have any of the problems 10.0 has. I have 2 suggestions for you at this point.

1) Uninstall 10 and Install 10D or the latest version 11D (If you choose this method, make sure you backup your Catalog directory to keep your job history. Copy this into the same directory for the newest version and you should be able to have your history retained.)

if this is not possible than use this fix

2) goto the services tab and select the Job Engine properties and select the RECOVERY tab. On the First failure select "RESTART THE SERVICE", repeat this on the second and Subsequent failure.

I worked with 10.0 for over a year and not one month has ever passed that I had to work on one issue or another. Once I had 11.0 installed I never had any major issues except for the odd job failures which had nothing to do with Backup Exec.

Keep me posted

DeathStar

Deathstar!

Thanks for your reply.
I have had version 10 installed since it was first released and have not had any problems up until now. The suggestion you have made to alter the services, I have already tried and it makes no difference to it. I have also tried installing version 11 as a trial and it does the same thing so am reluctant to pay the extortionate cost at this stage to inherit the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back