Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup domain controller to standalone server

Status
Not open for further replies.

colpaarm

Programmer
Jun 30, 2003
US
Hi guys, I'm a unix/linux guy and I want to switch everybody from a nt domain to samba running on linux. The problem is that the mail server is running on the backup domain controller (the nt stuff was set up long before I started working here). My questions are:

1. How do you demote a bdc to a standalone server?
2. If the only way to do this is to reinstall the software (I've read things similar to this in other places) how do I keep my existing mail server?
3. Would I be right in saying exchange should never have been put on any domain controller (backup or otherwise)?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Our exchange is on the PDC .... runs fine.

No, I don't have any problems either with ours on our bdc. However, you lose flexibility. This machine will never be able to join another domain. Which is the main reason that I want to demote the machine to a standalone server. I configured a samba pdc running redhat linux 9.0 and want to move the exchange server to it. From what I've read, you can't move nt pdcs and bdcs to other domains.

Any ideas about my three questions? Thanks again.

Yeah, I probably won't be able to take the route of moving exchange to another server. Right now, we have it on a dell server (not necessary for 20 people, but some consulting firm convinced my boss before I worked there that it was needed). Basically, my boss would feel like crap seeing the server running just fine on lesser hardware, so I can't do that. I'll have to demote. Now it looks like from your responses, I have two choices. Either re-install the software or use this UPromote software. I only have one question regarding the re-install. Can I do it without losing the data (specifically the mail server) that's already on there? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back