Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup device recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

robatwork

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2003
GB
Hi,
I am looking for something suitable to replaces the Zip drives we currently use for backups - it has to be something removeable, quick to backup, and not too pricey. I've considered USB memory sticks, but don't like the fact that they can be pulled out in the middle of a backup, or the fact that 2 can be inserted so it's unpredictable what drive letter they will be.

Iomega haven't really replaced the Zip drive - the Rev is way overkill for what I need to backup (around 100Mb of data, 200Mb Max).

Any suggestions?

thanks

But external USB what?
Hard disks aren't particularly portable or convenient for offsite backups. Memory sticks as I mention can be removed during backup, or get mixed up when 2 are inserted.

The closest thing we've found to zip so far is travan tapes, which seems a backward step to say the least...

If you're only backing up 100-200 MB, why not CDs? They are cheap and with Nero, you can script the backups so they are automated, just replace a disk every morning.

Can you script a nero backup so that you just insert a CD anddouble click an icon (shortcut to script? and it runs on demand?

I don't want to do scheduled backups - just when the user wants, someimes several times a day.

I've just checked Nero's website and tutoials for v 6 and 7 and can't find anything about scripting...

thanks

rob

You schedule a script - you don't want to schedule, don't schedule. You still use the script.

I have a client running scheduled backups nightly to a DVD burning with a Nero command line - the tool is nerocmd.exe - type nerocmd /? in the Nero program folder for a complete list of EXTENSIVE options. It may take some trial and error to get the correct combination of switches you want, but it can do just about anything from the command line.

as just another suggestion u can use backup utility to replace ur Zip files to CD's.
i'm not sure if CD runs any demands but anyway,
backup softwares(say True Image acronis.com) should help u.
what i know definetly it's more easy to copy using backup software then Nero.

AT the moment we are experimenting with backup software that can copy straight to CD via some kind of "one click" solution - so far Genie and backup4all are in the frame - will be trying stompsoft pcbackup soon

tnx for advice so far - keep them coming
-Rob

interesting enough
post back if u find where and how to "click"
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back