Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Device Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ancientbg

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2009
BG
Dear all,

I have the following problems with t he backup of voice recordings

Nice Voice logger 9.1
backup device HP dat72 dds5

I am getting this message in nice admin backup - Drive failure...
I thought it may be the device
Changed the device with another one HP dat72 - the same failure...

PLease help.

Addtionally to the issue above I found that there is a particular message in the nice digital logger:

- SAVPRM: pbu should be cleaned 1 48859427.

I did clean the tape device with cleaning tape - 5 times.
Is there a way the logger to be checked for cleaned tape ?

regards

hi when you say you changed device did you use a new tape or did you change drive.

did you double check jumpers on new drive and ensure it was same as old one?

did you install the HP dat72 drivers fromm extranice?

what service is logger on.

have you checked the cables/cpu to see if issue is outside drive

have you rebooted logger/windows?

Hi,
I used same other device and new tape or other tape with logger mode to overwright the contents.

one time I saw in the logs that device is being recognized, assigned for backup, but does not start to archive channels.
In the CLS backup menu the tape is just staying on 99% empty and thats all for hours and day.
After Eject command from CLS, Error device failure statys appears.

There are lots of logs in the logger i see, but I cannot understand all of them what they mean and how to troubleshoot properly.

here is a screenshot with certain logs from the bugfind tool.

Is there a way to get the whole log somewhere? I have some ideas, but there's too little information here to make a judgement.

I will see what I can do about it.

If its working, make it better !

Did you change it with a drive supplied by NICE or a standard HP one. NICE used to have a special firmware on the drive so that it would check the drive and if the f/w was not present it would not archive. After several attempts it would also appear as faulty.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Once we had a similar problem and it was a Windows problem. First you have to be sure you're using the latest Drive drivers from it's manufacturer (HP), then you have to check if the windows backup service is turned off. I don't remember what it's called right now, Volume Shadow Copy or something like that. It might be trying to take over the DAT drive.

The problem looked something like this. The drive was working ok for several hours, it was archiving and all that good stuff, then suddenly without any apparent reason the drive went into Drive Failure. Only server reboot would cure the problem. Nice came to conlusion that the problem is with the built in backup services inside Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back