Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup DC - solving troublesome client configs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben79

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2006
SE
First of all. I am not sure what to search for so if this question has been answered already please post a link :p

I have a small network with only one DC running as file/print server in Windows 2003.
And 10 clients with XP and Vista mixed enviroment.

I recently reinstalled the DC, keeping the settings that I could keep such as IP, server name, domain name and so on.
So no exact copy of the settings with BackupExec or Acronis.

However when my client computers logs in to the new DC, their settings are way gone (such as Outlook PST files). And some computers can not login to the domain at all. I had to reinstall them manually to the "new" domain again.

Can I install another DC, backup DC or whatever it's called, and not have to worry about client computers running amok when main DC is reinstalled/crashed and so on?

Regards

Ben

Thank you for your post.
Good old Petri.co.il again :p

Regards

Ben

Now I'm I about to reinstall my PDC with SBS 2008 instead of 2003.

Is there anything else I need to worry about?

I have preped the forest/domain and installed the BDC. It can see all my users and OU:s. So everything works fine.

I tried to log in to the BDC with PDC's LAN cable unhooked, and it took a while and it worked fine.

Im still nervous about my clients installed programs settings and Outlook.

Any tips how to check everything one last time before reinstalling the primary domain controller.

Should I use any dcpromo /swithes to decomision the server?

Ben

Regards

Ben

Well you have opened a whole new can of worms with the addition of SBS. The trick to SBS is it must be the first DC in the domain so you cant add it to an existing non SBS domain. I am thinking the best option if this is really the road you want to go down is to move all FSMO roles and GC to your second 2k3 DC. Then remove what was the first 2k3 DC from the domain. Then install SBS in a whole new forest and domain, and use ADMT to move the user and computer accounts to the SBS domain. Then i would DC promo the second 2k3 DC which really is the new first DC of the old domain and add it to the SBS domain as a second DC. Hope that makes some sense.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Yeah I know that I'm shooting myself in the foot here with SBS :D

I'll give ADMT a shot and bug you guys later :p

Ben

Regards

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back