Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup DB to CD-ROM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

selinis

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
CA
I'd like to "transfer" a database to a computer which is not in the network with my SQL Server.The only way is to make a full database backup on a cd. The question is: what can I do if the dimension of the .bak file is larger than 700 MB (dimension of the cd)? Is any solution to avoid using archivers like winrar, winzip to split the .bak file?
Thank you!

Have you just tried using Winzip to compress the file?

If that doesn't work for you, there is no good way to do what you are asking. Pre-existing backup files don't "split". You can, however, make a new backup file to multiple devices on the hard drive, then write those mutliple devices to as many CD roms as necessary, then save them down to the hard drive of the new PC and restore from them. You'll need every last device in the same folder though, for the restore to work properly.

The trick is, when doing a manual backup, when it asks you the location to save your backup to, you remove your old location/device, then hit Add. Pick your folder and name the backup "Device1" or something user friendly. Hit Add again, pick the same folder and name "Device2" and so on until you think you have as many devices as you need. This stripes your backup (like RAID striping) between these devices, so you will need all of them since the restore will pull data from all these devices simultaneously.

Make sense?

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Yes, it make sens and it works!
Thank you!

You're welcome. Thanks for the star. @=)

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back