Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup database to CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirlthewhirl

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2003
Hi,

I use NERO software on my CD\RW drive. When I copy iamge on to CD I cannot use the DB because it is read only. I have tried very hard to resolve this, with no success. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Shirlthewhirl

Hi,

The CD was designed as a read only medium, so Nero (and other burning software) will set the read only attribute on any files burned onto the disk. A copy on CD cannot be used as a live database for that reason. Use it only as a backup instead.

When you copy the files off the disk, you need to unset the attribute (right click on the file, choose properties and untick "Read Only" on the general tab (this is my win2k box, but it is similar on other OSes).

John

Hi John,

I am at a loss with this - I have been using NERO to back files up from another machine for 2 years and have only occasionly had trouble with Excel files (not always) I have just saved the file with another name and all has been well.

Nothing will let me change the attributes in the DB either before copy or afterwards. Not even using the old DOS method. (Bye the way using Windows ME).

I have to transfer this DB to another machine at present before everything is networked. Surely there must be a way to do this.

I am aware that copy is not the same as backup by the way but did not expect any trouble as all as been ok before.

I would be a very happy person if you can help me any further with this.

Shirley

Some programs take the "Read-Only" attribute as a warning only. Some, like Access, actually don't write to the file if it's in Read-Only.

There might be other issues here (Access built-in security), but I highly doubt it. Do what jrbarnett suggested above with the file: right-click, uncheck "Read-Only" attribute, click OK. Now open the file. It (really) should work. Really.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Hi,
My apologies for the delay in saying thank you for help. However I had to take the backup DB to a different site. I have now done this and it works fine. It turned out that it was the backup software I was using that was at fault. This was the first time I had done this and your help was brilliant because it helped me to definitely pin point my problem.

Shirley

You could use a CD-RW (if you writer support them) as that will turn your CD into a slow (real slow) virtual hard drive.

This is not recommended though :)

On Win95,98, 2000 (ME ?) Copy your back up from your cd onto your hard drive & change the propertise from read to archive.
XP you don't have to do this, it should work straight away.

Hi,

I have somewhat the same problem. I'm distributing an Access database on CD. I'd really like the customers to be able to read the database on CD. Assuming its not possible with a CD how do I set the status of the mdb file to be not read-only on a CDRW? I'm using Nero 5.5.10.9. When I write the mdb file to a CDRW its still read-only.

Thanks,

Wilson.

The way you make a file on a CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-(anything)/DVD-(anything) read/write is to copy it to the local drive and set the properties.

The CD-ROM filesystem is not actually the same filesystem used by your hard disk and it has no option for "read-only". Windows, when reading from a CD, will simply assume all files on the ISO9660 filesystem (CD-ROM) are read-only. It is only a coincidence that when you right-click on a file on the CD-ROM you are presented with the four attribute flags--they have no application when dealing with CD-ROMs.

So what I'm saying is that there's no fix. If you want to get your users to have the ability to write to the database and the database is located on a CD, trick them by creating a hidden database on their local drive and saving all the changes there. This, in short, is a workaround, not a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back