Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup between windows 95/98 PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leepen

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2001
US
Is there a way to run "windows backup" on a Windows 95 PC and read the backup on a Windows 98 PC?
We are using Peach Tree accounting and recently upgraded to Windows 98 on one of our PCs. Now the 98 PC will not restore from a 95 backup.
Thanks,
Lee

If you're backing up using floppies and any single file spans more than one floppy, then Win 98 will not be able to restore that file.

A suggested work around is to back up using a CD-RW drive and burning software.
Then, the Win 98 system should be able to read anything that's saved to CD's on the Win 95 machines.

The issue has nothing to do with file size. We are synchronizing accounting data between two PCs in seperate locations using a removable large capacity drive. The operation worked until we upgraded to Windows 98 on one machine. The 98 PC sees the file but won't read it.
From what I understand Windows 95 and 98 backup aren't compatible and we may have to upgrade the 95 PC to 98 in order to regain our backups between the two PCs.
I'm just looking for a work around at this point.

Leepen,

You are correct that MS Backup for 95 is incompatable with 98's. I am unaware of any work around for this and MS has not produced anything to arrest this problem.

You may not like these solutions but....

1) Third-party backup software.

2) Direct file copy:
A) connect both drives (C:[win98] & D:[win95-slave]),
B) map the drive (if on network),
C) floppy diskette (if files are small enough), or
D) as ski said burn them to a CD.

3) or, a compress/decompress program.

Sorry I cannot provide you with a better answer, other than creating your own 'backup' software.
--MiggyD

Ski:

I think that writer was referring to Win98 Upgrade and not an OEM install.

--MiggyD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back