Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup - Backup - Backup !!!!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

Honestly I am no worse off than many in a single server setting. If the hardware dies, the server(s) die.

My situation at Home is slightly odd, I have various servers running so that my clients and business partners can exploit the fact that I don't sleep much.

But I see a limited niche for the Virtual Server product despite my own oddities. It certainly makes a planned transition from Win2k server to Win2003 server less risky on the same hardware plant.

I do not think the intention of the Virtual server product is to reduce your hardware plant necessarily. I agree that hardware redundency should be a consideration. VS is to handle the odd compatability issue, and to ease upgrades. And to certainly aid support folks.

Or in my odd situation, to reduce the hardware farm required to support multiple server OS versions.

Well I like to give my two bits as well. I always use two drives which I change regularely over. Lets say c is the main drive I ghost everything to d. Next day I boot up with d and at the end of the day I ghost or use an equivalent program to drive c. Next day I start with c and so on. It does not matter which OS I use, I do exactly the same. Drives are now realy cheap and as I use Sata raid systems it is actually very fast. I sleep well at night. I also have another identical machine as standby and once a week I upgrade its data in case of a catastrophic failure. I do not believe that this is excessive. Regards

Jurgen

Wow! After a very trying day of starting over with a new hard drive installation [I typed a serial number wrong!], I'm amazed to come across so many tales of woe regarding the same issue! Had I backed up what I had, before I screwed up, I would have saved a lot of time! Luckily, I don't do this for a living or I would starve to death!
My question is a pretty simple one [but not to me]; When backing up to a second hard drive, using Ghost, do I want to Clone it? Use other software? What?
Jurgen's solution sounds perfect for my wife's business computer! Thanks! All I need is a little more detail on how to do this.
TIA!
Mojoman

Is there a way to back up only the items that have been changed or editted? Can i do this with what comes wth XP Pro or do i need a third party program?

Thanks,

KMartin2004.

Mojoman,

Upgrade to Ghost 9, and set it to do scheduled backups. The notion of 'cloning' etc. is old style stuff. You can have the backup occur in the background, is is very fast, and the backup images are completely usable under Windows XP itself without booting to DOS.

KMartin2004,

. for Data files, consider this freeware tool:
. For entire drives, consider a third-party utility. At the moment if like very much Acronis True Image, and Symantec Ghost 9.0

Lantastic!
Wow, there's a blast from the past.
I used to run Windows 3.11 over it.
In fact, it was the first real network I set up.
Ah, those were the days....proprietary cards, coax cable...
Where's my Comodore 64?

MCSE CCNA CCDA

You're right of course, my bad.

However, like many of us old-timers(?), getting the darn thing to do what you wanted required you to learn some rudimentary programming. If CPM Basic could be called programming. lol

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Yeah, DOS to XPP, over any transport medium pipe you care to pour data into.
The coax was/is just one of the pipes. They also had a 2mbs 2-twisted pair version, early cat5 if the ethernet people will let me tweak the meaning since the Artisoft used 2 twisted pair rather than the 3&6.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

That's quite spooky. I read this thread yesterday and thought "hmm, I haven't done a major backup in a while, better do one tonight". Just before I started the backup my machine blue-screened on me with a pagefile problem linked to a bad hard disk sector.

Luckily it wasn't a catastrophic failure and I was able to run the backup, but I think there's a moral there somewhere!

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back