Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BackUp and Restore Operation System

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexRabbot

Programmer
Nov 15, 2003
US
Hi,

I am new to Solaris and I have a task to backup and restore operating system (/root, /var and /usr) filesystems using Solaris/Unix like tar or ufsdump, ufsrestore and backup and restore /usr1 filesystem - data using Veritas NetBackUp 4.5 on SunFire V880 server, no clients. Plus the server has 2 internal and 2 external drives and configuted as RAID10.
After doing some investigation, I have found that using #ufsdump might create a problem if some files are open espesially in root filesystem.
Is ufsdump and ufsrestore are my best options for back and restore the OS, or there are better options????

Thank you,
Alex

Hi Alex,

well, it always depends on what you realy need...

backup with ufsdump/tar/NetBackup of a RUNNING system may always cause inconsistencies; the best way to keep the number as low as possible is to shutdown all applications you do not need during backup (such as Databases); to figure out how many files are open in runlevel 3 run lsof (public domain utility available via sunfreeware.com as a package); if you still think the number of open files (and possibly inconsitant files!) is to high you need another backup strategy

* backup using an alternative boot device
You can boot your machine using a CDROM (boot cdrom -sw) and run ufsdump or any backup utility which comes with the OS on CDROM; if it is a mirrored device you will have to backup one submirror (maybe it is possible to start SVM/SDS from CDROM, but I never did this)

* backup using snapshots of filesystems or disks
Veritas Filesystem offers a Snapshot utility, which allows you to run backups of consistant filesystems - Veritas FS will store all changed Blocks in a separate area (or copies the unchanged block to this area - anyway) and you are backing up the Filesystem as it looked like when you shot the snapshot; DiskUtilities (SDS or Veritas VM) offer snapshots, too; for VxVM pls. refere to documentation, in SDS you can use metaoffline/metaonline (but keep in mind: if you offline a device for backup you leave a single disk, there is no mirror redundancy)

if something's not clear just post your questions!

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Hi Franz,

I have a question regarding '#ufsdump'. In order to properly use #ufsdump, I have to boot the server (SUNFIRE V880) from CDROM (boot cdrom -sw). Question, do I have to use #init 0 command first to bring it to an 'OK' prompt and then insert CD and issue command 'boot cdrom -sw'. Fine, I can do it myself. But can this procedure be automated, let's say an operator will have to execute a script to perform this. Is it possible???

Another question is regarding an FTP account (Solaris 8). I have found the utility 'lsof' and wanted to FTP it from my Windows XP computer to the V880 server, but looks like the FTP account hasn't been setup on the server. I was trying searching the internet and couldn't realy find a straightforward anser to configure an FTP account.
If you can help, would great.

Thank you,
Alex

Hi AlexRabbot

Pl open the link and download psftp.exe. Very simple and can be installed on your Windows XP.

Then double click psftp on your PC console.
At the prompt type -- open IP ADDRESS
Then type -- put filename
You can see the transfer
Then quit

Login to your server.
If you want you can download putty.exe from the same above site.It is a free implementation for telnet and ssh.
Once login you are at your home directory.
Use gunzip filename | tar -xvf -
Then cd to install directory (Pl read README file)
Run the install script -- As a root # ./install_script (Some thing like this)

Pl feel free to post if you have any questions.

Regards

With regard to your other query, yes you need to bring the box down to an OK prompt before booting from the CD. I use shutdown -i0 -g0 -y myself as I think it's 'cleaner'. I don't think there's a way to automate the booting from CD, but I stand to be corrected!

there is no way to automate booting from cdrom (well, there is one: create a bootable cdrom with all you need and a rc.script which starts the backup, but this is not that easy...) but you can install another OS (another Solaris) on this host and boot this by cron/at/etc. The only purpose of this installation is to run the backup and reboot the primary installation; Running a backup is a quite easy job, if you have an opeator which is a little bit smart he/she can do this with 3-4h Training (shutdown, booting cdrom, running backups, MOST IMPORTANT: bring up primary system without failures)

ftp: if you run 'ftp hostname' does ftpd answer or is there no reply? IF there is reply can a user logon or is just root disabled (can I say "disabled" in this context?)

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back