Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup and .arc files

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolso

Programmer
Sep 8, 2000
IN
Hello Friends

I have a query related to backups and recovery operations.
I am currently operating windows Nt Server with Oracle 8i.
I have set Database in ArchiveLog Mode with automatic archival enabled.
I have set log_archive_dest_1 and 2 in 2 different drives.
Now As I see In both the directories the no. of files are
increasing which are .ARC files. in zip files format.
My query is till what time these archive files are useful
and at what time they should be deleted since my auto archive is enabled ?
Also I would like to know at what particular interval the data in the
.ARC files is commited to the database.

Thanks
Amol New to dba world, so please ......

So wide question for a forum. I recomend you to read some
Oracle book.

The main function of the arc files is to rollforward
transactions (I mean execute again) after a full or partial recovery of your Database.

All the transactions inside the arc files have been
commited previously.

Well I know these files are used for a rollforward operations in recovery. Please tell me can I delete those files at the end of day because I am not using I am currenlty on just a desktop server which is used only for development, not for implementation

Amol New to dba world, so please ......

If you dont need a recovery until the last committed transaction ,and if yor agree to recover only until your last full backup, then you can
1º delete all arc files that yor oracle is generating,
and
2ºturn off the archive mode of your databse , the only thing you must notice is that you will not be able to do hot backups.

Mrcomino is giving you excellent advice. It's up to your customers to define their recovery needs. Your job, as DBA, is to implement a backup strategy that conforms to those needs.

You appear to be saying that forward recovery is not needed on this server. If that's true and you can bring your database down at night for a cold backup I would do as Mrcomino suggests: turn off archiving and stop worrying about how often to purge the archive log files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back