Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup & Recovery. . . . 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

10onrussel

Technical User
Jul 25, 2008
MW
Hi guys/girls. . .

I really need help. . .on Friday my HP Laptop took a nose dive of some sort and I had to recover all my data from a previous backup. Seeing that I'm working in Mozambique at the moment with no installation disk I used the HP Emenrgency Recovery to restore the Factroy installation with some core data and settings. . .however, when I attempt to restore my full system backup which includes (system state files, Application data, local settings and some assorted files and programs) I get a message that the restore could not be completed due to "Machine Keys" that already exists. . .

Why is this??? I have deleted the files manually form its location but each time I restore I get the message. . .

Could you please give me some guidelines to follow for the restore???

Thanks

Machine Keys" likely refers to Registry entries, HKLM and the like.

What exactly did you use for backup? Built-in NT Backup? Or a third-party application?

Tony

Users helping Users...

I have a 7GB drive for my HP Recovery Manager that backs up & restores the factroy installtion (windows) with some files. . .I did a full system backup to my external hard drive with the Windows Backup Utility. . .when I do the recovery all my files are restored. . .but when I try to restore my system state files, programs and the application data I get errors. . .also, I downloaded apps like skype and the like but when I run the setup I get the message that it is not a valid Win32 application. . .even WMP11. . .

I have searched & searched for "how to restore xp from ntbackup" hoping for a clear procedure...no luck yet. You might have better luck posting in forum779

My personal experience with NTBackup was on my SBS server, the instructions called for loading the basic OS from CD, stopping, and running NTBackup recovery Wizard from there. I think what's happening is your sequence is wrong; you should be recovering System State before importing your files & programs, but that's just a set-of-the-pants guess. Head over to forum779 and linney & BadBigBen will have you sorted in no time.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Don't worry. . .I am sorted for now. . .
Recieved my isntallation disk last via DHL. I just formatted the machine and re-installed everything. Managed to save my PST files and some of my improtant doc's, the rest is gone. . .but thats fine.

I think what happened is when I recovered the OS with the HP Recovery Manager some settings where copied as well. . .hence the error message when I tried to restore the System State files. I will try and find out more on the HP Recovery Manager. . .will post as a tip.

Thanks for the interest and the help.
Cheers. . .

(PS. Linney was a great help as well)

10onrussel

Good attitude. And thanks very much for the update, we really like that. Best of luck!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Hey there. . .

I fished for some info on what might have caused the issues I encountered.
Couldn't really find anything with regards to the error but I have realized something, please correct me if I'm wrong.
The Hp recovery manager restores the hdd to it's original factory installation right?(including selected settings if you so choose). . .if I attempt to recover my previous Full system backup(System State files) it would try to overwrite some of the settings restored by HP RM!?(seeing that the backup would include these files) Hence the error message that some 'machine keys' already exsisted and cannot be altered.

Does this make any sence?

10onrussel,

I think that's the issue, but I have little experience with recovery media. The one time I used it was on my wife's new laptop to change from pre-installed Vista to factory-supplied XP 'downgrade' discs. The installation involved a format and clean install of all factory programs as in a new laptop. I cannot remember if the option was there to retain any files or settings.

Your "system state" restore (NT Backup) is intended to be done to a fresh install of XP with all updates and Service Packs up to the time you took the backup. If you went ahead and installed programs, etc. before recovery this could definitely cause system alarms like duplicate registry entries.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back