Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup always Failes???

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianf

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2001
ZA
I am new to Veritas Backup exec. We use it to back directories on the backup server and another server accross the network. We run a hotel, so certain files that need to be backed up are usually always open. The backup report always says Failed when I read the log - Usually a lot of files were open.....I have set it to backup open files with a lock.

Does the status say failed because a certain number of files were open and could not be backed up properly or is their something else wrong?

Regards,

Jules

Have you installed any of the Agent options from the Backup Exec CD?
If not sounds to me like you need to install the Open File Agent.

Saying that we receive failure messages every night on our backup! Just review the log file and check that your critical files are OK! Remember to do some test restores as well

You could also check that none of the files are corrupt. As this would also result in a failure.
There is a registry edit you can do that will stop it failing on corrupt files. Check the Veritas site.

Thanks for the input. I did not orrigionally install Veritas, but I think that one of the agents is installed (probably a remote agent for backing up another NT server??)

When I schedule the backup, I get an option for backing up files in use...I check "backup open files with lock"

I don't know if this means that the open file agent is already installed...maybe I should just re-install the agent.

Thanks,

Jules

If you have applications that are always running, you also need to purchase the Backup Exec Open File Option, or those files will always be skipped (as 'in use'). It will need to be installed on the remote system (that has open files). You need 1 of these for EACH system you're protecting that has open files.

Yes, you also need to Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 to protect remote systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back