Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup 2 different servers simultaneously ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

protos

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2002
US
were looking to purchase a central backup device
and backup about 7 servers only, but wanted to know if
there is a way to use Backup Exec
to backup 2 of the servers simultaneously

to 1 backup device ?? if so can you recommend one ??

reason is currently our backups take about 10 hours and only 1 internal dlt doing the dirty work and this doesnt include our exchange 2k that just came online, so there is no more hours to run.
thanks gang

Yes. Backup Exec will allow you to run two jobs at a time if your tape library has two drives. Or you could run one job to the tape drive and the other job to backup to disk folder (v8.6, v9.0 only)

You may only run 1 job per backup device. I have a dlt auotloader connected to backup server. I also have a internal 4mm tape drive. I can run jobs at the same time on these different devices. I also have a 175gig raid 5 drive on backup server and can backup to disc at the same time tape jobs are running.

Awesome !!

BTW

is 9.0 upgrade to 8.6 ??

so you can run a backup to DLT
and
the backup to folder simultaneously(same time)
say from 1 server ??

wont that run the process really high ?

Yes you can backup three different jobs on the backup server running 2 tape drives and to disk folder. The backing up to disk is not as great as it seems. You can only restore disk backups from the disk. In otherwords if you backed to disk and copied those to tape, you could not restore from the tape. You would have to send the tape to disk and then disk to whatever you were restoring.

My setup is similiar to yours. I backup the exchange store to disk 4 times a day. I use the disk because it is fast to backup and restore. I backup the entire exchange nightly as well plus 6 servers. You might want to backup some servers only on the weekends or just get there os and state.

The processor is not the bottleneck it is the tape drives speed at writing. Network traffic thru 1 nic card doesnt even matter. I was debating on going to gigabit on a separate backbone using static separate ip's just for backup. I figured out it would not help. I am waiting on tape speed.

really on the gigabit ?? were going to that also and debating on what central backup unit to purchase and whether to stick w/ veritas
or go w/ another vendor who claims to do "snapshots"
of data

any good central backup units/manufactures u can recommend ?

Actually, with BE 9.0, you can backup to disk folder then run a 'duplicate backup data' job to copy that backupset to tape. New function of 9.0

awesome!!

what about upgrade to 9.0 from 8.6 new license #'s ??

yes, new license. Check your maintenance contract if you have one, it may be free for you.

when u say "duplicate backup data"
u mean run another job and remove the listing of the backup folder ??

i have run 8.6 to backup to disk folder, but it overwrites the previous nites backup, how can i have it create a new b2d listing instead of overwrite the file.

i also want to take that b2d to disk then if possible and remove the b2d file so the drive doesnt fill up
but be able to restore and put that file back on the disk if needed, is that possible ?

Duplicate Backup Data backup job is new to BE 9.0.

To create a new B2D file each time you run a backup job, set the Overwrite protection time on the media set the job is targeting to 'infinite-do not allow overwrite'.

Later.

mkenny (MIS) Jan 30, 2003
I was debating on going to gigabit on a separate backbone using static separate ip's just for backup. I figured out it would not help. I am waiting on tape speed.

HMMM, funny you would type something like that. I actually went to GB and cut my backup times in 1/2. One of my file servers used to take nearly 26 hours to perform one full backup, and going to GB cut that down to a mere 13 easy. No need to even mention what it did to my smaller servers. I don't know who told you GB wouldn't help, but I can tell you it has done some serious wonders for me.

Qdog,

i took your advice on
creating a new B2D file each time you run a backup job, set the Overwrite protection time on the media set the job is targeting to 'infinite-do not allow overwrite'.

but i also want to continue to backup to DLT that is internal w/ no overwrite protection, but when i change it in the Tools/Options to get the B2D
to infinite-do not allow overwrite, it
changes for the DLT and then at nite pops out asking for new media.
how can you
do set that diff for the B2d and the Dlt separately ?

thanks dude

I do have a version 9.0 though, so what is new for B2D
i can use ?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back