Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backplate diagrams 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintail

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
Does anyone know where I can find a graphic description of the various backplate configurations used by various manufacturrs beginning with 486 up through Pentium III?

I know for instance there are Marl and Venus configurations for ATX. There may be more and certainly there are many beginning with the 486s.

The reason for asking is to determine MB/case relationships.

Thanks for any help!

I/O backplate layouts are many and varied, often being board specific one off's so although there may well be two or three basic layouts the variations are numerous.

When it comes to MB/Case relationship this is down to physical size of the case and supported form factors.
Generally if the case is midi ATX or larger, it will support any full sized or Mini ATX board.

Perhaps you could ellaborate on your question.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I realize that there is a great variation between MB layouts among the various mfgrs. Some cases come with 2-3 backplates to accomodate various MBs. I have seen several ATX boards with different configurations.
I am trying to find a reference to the various configurations so that I can determine case layout for some boards that I have. (Almost every board is different in configuration.) Cases are usually defines as compatible with AT,ATX,MATX, etc but that is no guarantee that a particular board will fit that case because of the backplate, MB configuration. Since they have gone to the trouble to identify backplates by name (eg. Marl, Venus) I assume someone has catalogued those.

My search of Google, WebFerret, Etc has produced nothing.

When i was looking for a backplate i found a site that had a pic of pretty much all of the different ones. I used google to find it, but if i recall a lot of people use a different name other than backplate and maybe i found it under the other name, with name, of course, i cant think of right now, getting old.
But someone else will come up with it and maybe you can try another google search, especially if you only want the pics.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Garebo, the site you mentioned sounds exactually like what I am looking for. If you or anyone else can recall the search terms you used, I would appreciate knowing about it. Many thanks!

Well, if someone can give us the other name(s) used for these backplates, then i think i can find it again.
I will look in my favorites, but it may take a while.

Here's another, about 3/4 of the way down the page, under intel I\O shields. If it doesnt show the right page, look over on the left and click on motherboards, then go about
3\4 of the way down the page.

Thanks garedo! That is exactly what I was looking for. Seems that the search string does make a big difference.

Yes, it does, i had a heck of a time finding those places so i put them in a folder in my favorites for just this sort of thing!
Guess you are all set now?

I am all set. Once again, many thanks!

Look at some of the old VGA Charts or some old info on

S3 was big back then and also 3DFX VooDoo Cards and with the 386 some Trident Cards.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Baby AT had the version with the punchouts for Serial and LPT and you put them in and then ran a cable to the motherboard.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Many thanks to ceh4702 for the useful information! With all of the responses to my post, I have all of the information I was seeking. I find this Forum to be extremely useful and greatly appreciate all of the help from various responders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back