Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Windows Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I've looked...and have yet to find, where Windows puts it's critical updates packages on my computer. I'd like to reformat my machine (call it Spring cleaning) and not have to go through the hours of downloading all the Windows Updates. Anyone know how (of if) to back these babies up?

Windows Update contains patches and upgrades for XP and .NET Server; however, you can't save these fixes to a local machine. To save the patches and upgrades locally, you must use the corporate Windows Update Catalog, which lets you store fixes locally for subsequent installation. To access this catalog, perform the following steps:

Go to the general Windows Update Web site.
Under Other Options, select Personalize Windows Update.
Select the "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also" option.
Click Save Settings.
Under See Also, you will now have Windows Update Catalog.

You can also access the corporate Windows Update Catalog directly at this Microsoft Web site. After you access the catalog, you can add several fixes to your "basket" that Windows Update will download to your machine.

I think you might be going to learn the hard way that it is a good idea to keep copies of your updates for just such a situation.

The good news is that you can get a CD copy of SP1 and there are only about 25 or so updates to be done after that.

15 updates after SP1, just did to XP Pro's last 2 days.
It will still take 30-60 mins to get if you have DSL or Cable.
dial up ????

Any of your friends, workmates or relatives saved a copy of the updates you can get hold of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back