Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Win 98 clients with password protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug12

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
US
We have ARCServe 2000 Advanced Workgroup edition. In ArcServe manager, I can browse all my clients through the network. However when I add a client with IP address and computer name, I'm unable to connect. The login always failed. All our c drives on the 98 clients are password protected. Will that cause a problem? I use the username and password created through Arcserve Server Admin.
I can browse down to every folder in the network after supplying the folder password.
Please help. thanks.

You will have to enter the password authentication seperately when you are creating your job. After you hit run/schedule tab then it will have client information, then for every node you will have to input some security (because you have FAT password protection you will have to do this per drive), if not then in the actual backup screen you will need to right click on the agent or drive and select security, then input the password for that particular drive and so on....

guru

I appreciate your prompt response. I can supply the password full access on the network and can browse to the end of every node. However, when i do a right click on the client agent security to authenticate the username and password, my login failed. I tried every kind of login name
domain_name\user_name, or just the password to have full access to the client machine. none of it worked.
I'm new to ARCserve. Hope you can bear with me.
Thanks a lot.

Junebug,

Don't know if this is still true, but when using the Win95/98 Agent with Arcserve 6.61 you had to specify the domain username and password (under client agent security)of the user that is currently logged into the Win95/98 machine for the backup to work properly. Not sure if this is still the case with Arcserve2000.

Hi everyone! Thanks for you help. I found out what the problem was. It has nothing to do with the password proctection. On our clients machines we have an older version of ArcServe. I can't believe the person who upgraded the server did not think of upgrading the clients as well. I'm testing the backup now and hopefully it will work.

Junebug12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back