Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up to File System

Status
Not open for further replies.

plattze

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
AU
We have two file servers for our backups (aswell as tape drives etc). One is local inhouse and one is in one of our data centers.

Nightly I like to dump everything to the local server, and couple times a week I want it to copy what I have on this local server to the remote offsite server.

However, using a copy job, the group I have the file system device is, isn't displayed. Ito nly shows windows shares...

Is it possible to copy from a device to another?

So how am I meant to do this?

Thanks

Copy job is for file system shares not media. Use the command line tapecopy utility instead - you'll need to create a file system device on the remote machine to copy to.

Yes, there is already a file system device on t he remote machine.

Originally I was just pushing it out remotely, but it was taking to long and running over time periods we didnt want it taking over bandwidth.

Thanks, I'll look into that command.

How does the tape copy command line effect storing from backup?

Depends on your version - with the later versions of tapecopy it won't merge the new location into the database automatically - so it means that if you erase the source FSD then arcserve thinks the tape is gone-gone (if that makes sense).

Latest versions you can pass -g (IIRC) to run a merge job after the tape is copied to the remote FSD - it will submit a merge job to the job queue to run 5 mins after the copy has finished. Of course you could just submit the merge job manually yourself afterwards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back