Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up to a remote folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooma

MIS
Apr 7, 2002
Hello all..

I am trying to backup to a remote folder on another computer. I've tried \\servername\sharename and also mapping the remote directory.

SQL backup does not seem to recognize either.

Any way of backing up (not using tape) to a NON-local drive?

Thanks

You are on the right track of using a UNC (\\ServerName\ShareName) since SQL Server does not recognize mapped drives.

If I were to quess, I would say you have a permissions issue on the share. You should use a domain account to administer SQL Server and that account should be given rights to the remote share you are targeting. I use this method in hundereds of sites.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Jay's got a good suggestion about checking the permissions. Right click on the My Computer icon and select Manage. Expand until you get find Services. Expand that and find the MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent services. What account do they run as? Is it Local System? If so, you won't be able to access a network drive. You'll need to change those to a network/domain account.

-SQLBill

Thanks! Yes I now see what the problem is. The two servers are not in the same domain. Both services are running of the local admin account.

Without setting up trusts, I think my easiest solution is to create two identical accounts, same password. This should allow me to cross the domains.

Any other ideas?

p.s. when the permission issue is fixed and I enter the \\servername\sharename into the backup location, will the "invalid location" error message disappear?

It should since SQL Server will now have permission to access that location.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back