Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up the SAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

IoN6

MIS
Dec 18, 2001
US
I need to back up the SAM file on one of my servers but MS Backup just passes right over the file... Is there something I'm doing wrong? I need to migrate over my current users and groups to a new machine.

Thanx in advance!

Both are 2k Server. No AD. They are both currently up and running.

I did a system back-up and then a restore but it TOTALY jacked all my hardware. But I did get all my user accounts moved over. I tried exporting the Hkey_users key and then importing it but it errored out. Couldn't even import it back to the machine I exported it from...

/lost look on face

Im assuming this is a stand alone server that you wish to not domain authenticate through or more than likely your clients aren't logging into the domain.

Otherwise I see no reason to not run AD on both of these to propagate the user/groups to the new server.

I can not find any reference to this, documentaition from Microsoft or no one I know has ever had a need to do this (but definitely doesnt mean it cant be done) I assume because most people running 2K server are in it for AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back