Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up SQL what should i back up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2001
GB
Hi

What do i need to backup using backupexec 8.6 to backup and be able to restore a SQL database. I have the agents etc installed.

Just the backup cylinders in the MS SQL Server view in backupexec ? Or other files as well ?

Cheers

Dalek

That is correct if you have the MSQL in the selections you will select that. However, if you also check of the entire drive where the sql data is you will be wasting time and space. It is not neccesary to back up the data folder under sql. The agent will do this for you. This folder is slow to back up. Do not get confused, Select everthing under the new sql. Deselect data under drives sql.

In the backup selections window, drill down until you see your SQL server. Expand that. Eventually you will see your databases in the right window pane. Select the databases you want to backup. Then use the SQL tab to set how the backup is to be done.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back