Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up snapshots on a Netapp filer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmidds

MIS
Jul 9, 2003
GB
At present before we get the hardware to allow us to backup our Net App filer via NDMP we back it up via an NT server.

We backup the snapshots as recommended. However we can't find a way of performing an incremental backup. I think it has something to do with not being able to set the attributes of the read only Snapshots. However a Net App engineer thought it should be possible by using backup levels. However when performing my tests with a backup level of 1 it still insists everytime on performing a full backup. Has anyone succesfully performed a incremental or differential backup of a filer this way or is it not possible ?

Thanks in advance.

The only way around this is to specify the mountpoints and directories of the Filer you want backed up.

I think the access time of .snapshot gets updated everytime the snapshot is run.

Regards

I have the following answer for my problem. First impressions look like it works :)

Set "NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE=yes" as a system variable on your Windows 2000 server and reboot this Windows server. After that NetWorker will NOT look for the archive bit when determining to back up this file or not, but NetWorker will look for the last scheduled backup of this file and the last time, it has been changed.

Looking for the archive bit will not function at the filer because NetWorker does NOT turn off the archive bit after having backed up a file. So you will always get a full backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back