Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Running Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolf52

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
Stupid question here, but what is the best way to back up my running config so if the router gets hosed I can just import the back up?

I want to do something better than just saving the run config to textpad and having to cut and paste the thing in a crisis.

Is there a way to copy it to a tftp server?

Thanks in advance

Of course. Something like 'copy startup-config tftp' or 'copy running-config tftp'

The router will then prompt you for ip address of the tftp server, etc.

I tried that and it was asking me for a URL prefix. not real sure about what to put there

I would try the "write network" command. It works great for backing up a configuration file.

Rob Friedman

Hi,

If you can get hold of Solarwinds Engineers Edition it has a lovely bit of software that allows you to download/upload config from/to cisco routers and lets you compare the running with startup config for any contentions.

It is all GUI based so you don't have to remember file path names etc.

Cheers,

Keiron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back