Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up remote clients (RAP Error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenScoville

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
We have a Networker 6.02 server running on WinNT 4.

I want to back up specific directories on a remote server (WinNT 4) using the "save" command.

I have installed the NetWorker client software on the remote server, but the command line save (executed at the NetWorker server, not the client) returns the following error "RAP Error: NetWorker Archive Modules/NSR is not properly enabled."

I am using the following switches/syntax...

save -L -S -u -N alias name -e forever -b "POOL NAME" -l FULL \\Server\Directory

I have used this same syntax to back up files from an existing storage node that I have so I know the syntax works.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

By using the "-e forever" you are telling the server to Archive the data (i.e. it has no experation) backup data does expire. change this to something else and it should work.

The error message your are getting is telling you that the archive module is not enabled and you are trying to archive the data.
"RAP Error: NetWorker Archive Modules/NSR is not properly enabled."

if you do own the archive module then you will need to go to the client setup and enable the archive services option.

Thanks! Dropping the -e switch altogether worked.

Without explicitly specifying an expiration date (with -e), what will the retention period be for the save sets I generate with a command line "save?"

How can I determine the retention time for a particular save set? (I just want to know how long I can get the save set via save set recover--I'm not using browsable indexes).

I've run into a bigger problem...

I can't redirect the save set recoveries for save sets generated using the command line "save" for a remote volume.

When I use the NetWorker client to do a save set recover, the recovery fails if I try to redirect the data to another path...seems to be tacking the UNC path onto the redirect path that I specify...

For example, if I save like this:

save -L -S -N "saveset name" -b "TAPE POOL" -l FULL \\server\C$\directory

Then do a save set recovery and in "Recover Options" specify another path to retrieve to (e.g., D:\retrieved) I get a "directory already exists" error for every file and nothing is brought back from tape.

The save set recovery seems to be trying to recover to
D:\retrieved\\server\C$\directory which of course does not exist.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Regarding you previous post,if you do not use the file recovery,but only recover savesets - you do not care about the browse policy - the saveset will be kept al long as the volume was not deleted/relabeled.

You do care for the retention policy though,cause once all savesets are expired on a volume - it may get autorelabeled ...by Legato.

You determine the retention policy as following:

mminfo -av -q "volume=timna10.001" -r "name,ssid,ssretent"
"Long live king Moshiach !"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back