Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backing up Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

dor35

Technical User
Nov 27, 2003
GB
Is there a way to backup the Outlook files (*.pst) without shutting down Outlook? Copy or backup programs can't do it as it says the file is in use. Is there a way to say "I know the file is open, I know the risks, but I want to copy it anyway".

THanks

Dave

A tool is availabel at:

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Thanks for the pointer Marc.

I've installed the update, but you still have to exit Outlook to back it up, so really it doesn't do anything that a couple of clicks couldn't do anyway. Also I've got a couple of PC's that use Outlook Express. I'm a great believer in backing up often and automatically. I could copy open files in DOS & WIN 3.1, I can do it in Unix, Is there a utility that will let me copy an open file in WIN 9X?

Not for a PST, this is the way to do it.
Honestly, all it takes is to close and open Outlook.
Don't forget, in essence, a PST is a database, and that is why it is locked.

For Outlook Express, there are some available, just search Google, but I don't know if any good ones are free.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back